What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Control an iPad with a computer

willbob8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a bizarre need... I need to be able to play various videos on an iPad screen but control the playback using a computer. It will be used in a dramatic production.
An example of this is an actor will hold the iPad up to their face and a video will play. Or an actor talks to an iPad and a video plays. At one point we will put multiple iPads next to each other and a long video will play over all of the displays.
I need an iPad app that lets a computer control it, and a computer app (mac or pc) that enables you to control the display of multiple iPads simultaneously.

Is there anything like that, or does anyone have any suggestions as to how to do this?

Thank you so much

OP
W

willbob8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh okay, thanks
Is that due to a lack of apps available or physically impossible due to apple restrictions?

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Check out an app and associated software called MultiVid. It was developed by a magician who wanted to incorporate iPhone and iPads into his performance. Maybe it can fit your need.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does it matter what the video is? Does it matter how large it is? What exact matters about this video that must play?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I can only think of one way you might do this, and it's an odd one.

If you use a remote desktop app like Splashtop you can control a remote computer. The opposite of what you want, really. The point is that the iPad will display whatever is on that computer's screen. So, you could connect the iPad so it can control the computer, and displays the computer's screen, but start the video manually on the computer, which would show on the iPad's screen.

If that made sense.

It would be a very tricky workaround. You'd have to play with it a lot to iron out any quirks. The delays might be a problem too, since everything will be streaming over the local wi-fi.

OP
W

willbob8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you all, I think I will either use multivid (but the interface is unfortunately quite poor) or I will try something like splashtop or air display and use Qlab to control it

Most reactions

Latest posts