What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Connecting to wifi...need help!

LynnM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I just got an ipad2, and am able to connect to wifi at home. However, when away from home, and in an area with wifi, it asks which network I want to join, and offers one or more that I know nothing about, and then asks for a password (which I don't have). How do you connect to wifi out in the 'world'?:confused:
Thanks, Lynn

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hotels will tell you how to connect to their network, and so will libraries. I'm guessing that coffee shops, etc. will do the same. Also, odd names requiring passports are usually personal.

tmno2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
From somewhere in these forums, I recall seeing a reference to using "Safari" to look up the wifi provider, resulting in a provider TOC and an offer to join on acceptance of the TOC with the option of supplying a USER password and perhaps a USER ID.
After completion and acceptance you can then connect to the wifi provided.
I suggest you take a screen shot of the completed form so that you have a photo record of the ID and PASSWORD for each of the wifi hotspots you join.
The related password and ID should be good for any of the providers hotspots.
If you are going to join a lot of different free wifi hotspots the photo record will be invaluable.

Hope this helps

tmno2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, I forgot to mention that all local/near wifi networks will show up as available on your connect to screen, those that have a locked lock beside their entry are closed and protected wifi networks and would need passwords and security keys to connect to them.

Free wifi networks will not have the lock showing but mostly they would require you to subscribe to and accept their TOC. Thus the requirement of Safari to be able to access read and accept the TOC, the relevant webpage would also explain what actions are required before you can connect.

Most reactions

Latest posts