What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem: Connecting iPad to internet via a Vista laptop

kabballas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I have a HP Pavilion with a Windows Vista installation that I am trying to setup as a wifi adhoc internet connection for my iPad.

This is what I do on the laptop:
1. I create an adhoc wifi network
2. Use a WEP password
3. Share the internet connection = enabled (on both my adsl internet connection and the wifi network)
4. Wait for Vista to prompt me to make the "network found", and select a "home" network type.

Here is the iPad setup:
1. I go to settings > WiFi
2. select the wifi network created and enter the password correctly
3. Then I am connected successfully to the network. But I don't have internet access???

Please help me access the internet via that connection!

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you tried the free program Connectify? Haven't tried it but someone was recommending it to me the other day. Believe theres a website.

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Connectify works really great. If I remember correctly, all I had to do was installing the program, going through the quick set up thingy and there you go.

I think one quirk was there which was that you have to enable internet sharing on your main internet connection.

But don't take me for granted. I'm running Win7 64bit. But it should be the same for Vista.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Connectify free, simple....follow instructions and wizard and you're good to go.

alman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Connectify solved the problem

I had exactly the same problem and it has been killing me as the iPad would hook up sometime and not others. Well, installed connectify and boom, it works like a charm. Now I am hooked up on a WPA2 with no problems. I can even get my BlackBerry hookup now. (which I could not on an Ad-Hoc network)

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As an FYI while Connectify is great... it relies on features only present in Windows 7.

As the OP was clear about running Vista Connectify is not even an option for him.

And, alas, Vista's crappy ad hoc WiFi setup is a pain to get to work, let alone describe in a forum.

Here is a little tutorial on it. Now it first describes how to setup the client PC... but since the iPad will be the client follow those instructions on the Vista laptop, but on that last step make sure you click Turn on Internet Connection Sharing. Then connect to the ad hoc network from the iPad in the normal manner. See here:
WiFi Ad Hoc Network and ICS Step-by-Step Setup - Vista

Michael

plunderbunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been having the exact same problem myself. Unfortunately, I'm running Windows XP, so Connectify is not an option for me.

I live in a college dorm that doesn't have wifi in all of the rooms, so I'm forced to connect my ipad to my computer via an ad hoc connection. It worked perfectly, with absolutely NO problems for 3 weeks. Then suddenly, literally out of NOWHERE, it stopped working. I think I had to restart my computer or something, and when I logged back on, the ad hoc connection would appear to be connected, yet I couldn't use any internet based apps on the ipad.

I've tried deleting the old ad hoc connection and starting fresh. Nothing. I tried using a different computer than my school laptop. Again, nothing. I have no idea if this is at all related to the iOS 4.2 update, since it has never given me problems until now, but I'm inclined to believe that's not the issue. It actually seems like a really common issue, since I Googled it and many people have reported similar issues with ipads and iphones.

So I want to know, has anyone DEFINITIVELY solved this problem on an XP computer? I'd give anything to know how to fix this and why it happened out of the blue!

EDIT: Wow, it looks like someone actually had the answer on another forum! This worked for me, so perhaps it will help you. No word on if it will continue to work, but it's been stable for about half an hour.

Go to your ipad Settings --> General --> Reset. Then Reset your network settings. Go ahead and power cycle your ipad and your router (in my case, I just rebooted the computer, since I don't have a router per se). Now locate the wireless network with your ipad and re-enter the password. Hopefully, this will work!

Last edited:

kni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wifi internet connection methods for ipad

Hello , i have connected ipad with wifi using two methods
1. Quick way of connecting in adhoc simply described here
nokia-mobile-internet dot com website

2. Another way is using virtual router software , but that software only supports windows 7

LxJones

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks.

I am trying the same with WAP2 and its not working, will try WEP and check this evening. I assume it should still not make any difference but as it is not working, will have to try WEP.

Most reactions