What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confused about screensavers

lizzieh

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Reading various forums on the subject of protection of the iPad screen, I'm not sure if its a good idea or not to affix a film because of the iPad screen coating.

What do readers think, and if think yes to a protective screen, recommendations please as to the best.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Some people do, others don't.

I don't use one because I need to see the screen as it was meant to be seen - in all its amazing high res glory! It is still perfect with not a single scratch. But I keep my iPad in a case and nothing other than my fingers touches the screen. I do believe that sand will scratch the screen, but mine NEVER comes in contract with sand or dirt, ect.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, to the OP, if you are accumulating votes, then I would say 'NO' need - I have a smart cover on my iPad only - the glass used has additives that make it shatter & scratch resistant, plus has an oleophobic coating that repels human oils and allows their easy removal - BOTTOM LINE, the surface is quite durable, just don't use a hammer to test that statement! :D

OP
lizzieh

lizzieh

iPF Novice
Reaction score
giradman said:
Well, to the OP, if you are accumulating votes, then I would say 'NO' need - I have a smart cover on my iPad only - the glass used has additives that make it shatter & scratch resistant, plus has an oleophobic coating that repels human oils and allows their easy removal - BOTTOM LINE, the surface is quite durable, just don't use a hammer to test that statement! :D

Thanks, perhaps I won't get one.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Screen protectors are just like insurance policies. You may never ever need one or you might regret the day you don't. Gorilla Glass can be scratched very easily. In fact Corning published a PDF on how easy it is. It required 1 Newton of Force (a baby can apply that amount of force at birth), a sharp edge and a slow application of the force. Now the trick is, how often does this happen to an iPad? Depends on where it is used and how often it is dropped screen side down. Odds are if you are in your house, only adults use the iPad and they wash their hands or at least keep them grit free, you will probably never damage the screen. But kids are a different matter. They don't realize the implications of their actions. So it might be needed just for that one fact.

Something to consider.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll echo Skull here. I had a screen protector on my iPad, but it started to get dingy, so I took it off, intending to replace it. I like the look of the screen so much without it that I never bothered. I bought some microfibre pads from Staples and use them to remove finger marks. I also check the hands of the kids who use it more than I do at weekends, mostly for jam, honey and chocolate (I can't stand sticky stuff).

So far as longevity goes, I have a GPS unit in my truck that has a plastic screen, far less resilient than an iPad screen. It is over two years old and looks brand new. A colleague received one at the same time, and his looks like it gets regularly attacked by a cat.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

cideruser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a "newbie" may I ask a closely related question?
We added (as new owners do, to protect their investment!) a screen protector which came with a leather case, to our new (March2012) iPad. Grandchildren have been allowed to use it and the "protector" is now quite scratch marked, to the point that it is no longer a pleasure to view, which is a shame.
Question: If we remove the protecting cover by peeling it off - the reverse to how it went on - is it likely to damage, or have damaged, the original screen/screen surface coating?
Does anyone have any experience to draw on before we do something else we might later regret!?

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have yet to see a screen protector damage a Gorrilla Glassed covered touch screen. Have personally gone thru an iPod Touch, iPad 2, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S where I had to remove the screen protector because I was gifting the device to someone. Asked them to buy a new screen protectors of their choice, due to the fact that I use Ghost Armor and some people don't like its feel. The only thing I have seen is a slight residuse being left behind. Used a microfiber cloth to clean the screen and less than a minute later it looked as good as the day I bought it.

Most reactions

Latest posts