Coding on the iPad

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Steep, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Steep

Steep
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    You keep throwing the book at me. The latest iPad gives us a thinner lighter device with improved performance. A new iPad may well be delivered by Apple early next year. A bigger screen ? Could be another chip who knows what ? The iPad may well outgrow IOS. I just hope that Apple open up a bit. Let's leave it there.

2. thewitt

thewitt
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Apple has no intention of allowing apps to be developed on an iPad and uploaded to the App Store any time soon. It may be in their road map, but it's not in any near term plan they have shared with their developer partners.

I have no issues with that.

3. Steep

Steep
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    You guys certainly quote the gospel according to Steve Jobs ☺️
    You now play on the word 'develop'. I understand that you need to pass Apple criteria if you want your 'App' to go into Apple's App Store. Just as I have to get clearance to post here.
    What I choose to try and do with my iPad truly has nothing to do with Apple. I can access my PC via my iPad and play 'Apps' that I have 'created' as a computer hobbiest on another platform. However I would
    like to do it with the help from Apple rather than in spite of them.
    Way back when I could not understand why anyone wanted to struggle with machine code when technical developments in hardware would go hand in hand with software developments to meet basic requirements. I honestly believe that the hand held computer will outgrow IOS and even OS-X. Satisfying the hobbiest and curious has to be part of that 'development'
    Apple have it all in on basket.

4. thewitt

thewitt
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    You can complain about the infrastructure all you want, guys like you are not the target market for the iPad. Seriously. Work around whatever you want, it's not ever going to be a development environment for app development.

No play on words for me, just straight talk.

Go buy a windows tablet and write apps in pearl....be happy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Steep

Steep
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Come on - I love my iPad and have nothing but respect for Apple.
    If I went in any other direction, I would buy a Rasberry Pi running Risc OS and use my iPad as a monitor/keypad because I do enjoy computing laid back in my arm chair. Just a bit lazy in my old age.
    You see I have seen the Arm chip grow out of an Acorn. ☺️
    I compute for fun and the iPad is a fun device. Just want to see it do more to help late 'developers'
    PS - went through the Apple v Windows dual back in 83 when I took early retirement, through that lot I cut my teeth on the old Beeb.

6. motsco

motsco
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    see, Apple is the herd windows is the head of the herd.

but the Apple iOS has potential, and the herd doesn't understand they are heading in the direction the OP speaks of.

I love my iPad also,

7. s2mikey

s2mikey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Yes, they should. I'd love to see that and would be the first one to purchase it or whatever was required. It would be an epic thing if it happened. How about a scripting language that allows some basic app development or something? There has to be a way.....

8. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Right now Codea is the closest thing to what you want. You can write and run apps (inside Codea). You can even trade projects with other Codea users. What you can not do is create stand alone apps and run them on the iPad, all on the iPad.

Codea does offer a way to get your apps into the App Store; but you still need a Mac, XCode, and a developer license.

Two apps in the App Store that were written with Codea are Crabitron and Cargo-Bot.

Codea is based on Lua, a high level language similar to Java. It's focus is on physics modeling, but it can do just about anything.

There are a couple other apps that let you create code on the iPad (Java, PHP, Javascript, C), but they use a remote server to run the code. I don't remember the names of those apps off the top of my head.

Finally, there are web apps, the ugly step child of iOS. In theory all you need is a web server and an app like Diet Coda, and you could write anything you like for iOS; bypassing the App Store altogether. If you are not already a web developer, the learning curve for this is probably even steeper than XCode.