Cloudon or Onlive desktop?

Discussion in 'iWork Forum' started by ChaystEr, Feb 3, 2012.

1. ChaystEr

ChaystEr iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    These two apps are free on the Appstore. Anyone have tried it already? I think CloudOn is much nicer since its connected to Dropbox.

I want to try these apps but i cant manage to connect them in the Appstore? Does this mean they are only available in the US??

Sent from my iPad2 3g+WiFi using Forum Runner

2. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,031 / 1
  3. coolstuffs

coolstuffs iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I tried CloudOn and Onlive Desktop using a 25 mb powerpoint file with macro programming. I found out that CloudOn played the video part with a slight stutter, does not play well the macro program part, and none of the embedded sound. I agree that it is nice because it uses dropbox. On the other hand, Onlive Desktop played the presentation well.

4. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +431 / 0
    Onlive will give you access to your dropbox if you pay the $5/mon for IE. IE has a link to your dropbox so you can download files to your Onlive space. Edit, then move back to DB. Not very seamless, however.

5. coolstuffs

coolstuffs iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I only avail of the free/standard OnLive service (2 gb free space). I did not made use or connect to dropbox via IE. I upload files directly to Onlive through IE or other browser by logging in to OnLive. I do agree that this is somewhat a disadvantage compared to CloudOn. But in terms of functionality, IMHO, OnLive is far better than CloudOn.

6. valinrace

valinrace iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I would go for Onlive if you are willing to pay, but if not CloudOn will still be useful and good enough.

7. peterkelly

peterkelly iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Both are fundamentally flawed in concept, because they're simply a remote access mechanism that lets you log into a windows machine and run the Windows version of office. They require a fast, reliable internet connection and don't integrate well with the iPad experience, as MS Office (at least the current version, which is what they provide) is designed for use with a mouse and keyboard. If you want to use MS Office, the optimal choice of hardware is a laptop running Windows, not an iPad.

There are many native apps available for the iPad which provide functionality similar to MS Office (though with many limitations - you should check their capabilities to see if they meet your needs). I recommend using a native app so you can have something that is designed to actually work well with the iPad.