What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CLOUD ICON ON APP STORE APP

efrain Rios

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wHILE TRYING TO HELP MY FRIEND SET UP A DROPCAM, i DOWNLOADED THE APP TO MY IPAD, BUT since the app had to reside on her ipad, i tried to download it there, except she forgot her appstore pwd and when requested apple to email conf to reset, never got the email. So i logged her off and tried to download the app, using my apple ID, except this time it had a cloud icon, which stuppidly i clicked, I got the "OPEN" button, but nothing happened.

How do I remove the app completely so I can download it when she rfinally resets her paasword. It has been deleted from my Ipad...

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you search for the app on the iPad? If it's got an OPEN next to it, it's installed.

OP
E

efrain Rios

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sure did. I can't see it anywhere. Ihas an OPEN on it buth there is a plus mark on the top left corner of the "OPEN" unlike the "OPEN" I get on the ones I can see physically on the IPad.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Use Spotlight Search to look for the app. It'll also show you where to find it.

Did you try to open the app? If so, what happened?

OP
E

efrain Rios

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oh! spotlight does not show, but if you go and display All the apps, it appears in there, except all you see is the app icon, it has no name next to it, and it size is only half of what it shows on MY device. As I said before, clicking on the app does absolutely nothing. If you delete the app and try to download again, the same thing happens, shows a cloud with a downarrow on it (which I supposed it is the "cloud") clicking on the app shows progress of downloading and then the OPEN button with the + sign on the top left corner of the button, clicking on it, does nothing.
If u go th the app site and sign in, it shows the info for the account and a screen that shows you need to install Flash, which we all know is not compatible with apple software. When I do the same steps on my IPad, everything is normal.

I guess, once this happens the only way to get rid of the app is to reset the device to factory defaults. One thing I would like to know, if I do this, can the same apple ID be used to getting back on the IPad??? Does Apple keep track of this or what?? MY friend is tech "dumb", meaning she only knows how to click on a icon to run the app and that is it. When I asked her if she knew her password for har email account, as resetting would clear everything, she said I dont think I have an email account, yet she has been reading her emails daily!!!!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apps belong to the owner of the Apple ID that was originally used to purchase or download them. The app was first downloaded to your iPad with your Apple ID and password, which makes it your app, not hers. With the single exception of Family Sharing, you are not allowed to share your apps with anyone. Your friend will have to download the app herself from the App Store with her own Apple ID and password when she gets it straightened out.

BTW, resetting her iPad to factory settings if she doesn't remember her Apple ID password will effectively brick her iPad as it can't be erased or restores without entering her Apple ID and password.

Last edited:
OP
E

efrain Rios

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mute point. That is what I have been trying to do. Download the app to her IPad using her ID and password. But I can't get past this "cloud icon" and the "Open" with the Plus sign, which in "essence" downloads the app, yet I do not get a visible Icon on the device, all apps show it is there yet where, I guess only apple knows. Short of resetting, would be to take it to an apple store and pay the service fee, to see if they can do it, that is if she is willing to try it...

Thanks for the help

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If she doesn't remember the password, use this link
https://appleid.apple.com
Tap "Manage Apple ID", and then "Forgot your password?" Maybe it'll work this time. Make sure you enter the right email address.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mute point. That is what I have been trying to do. Download the app to her IPad using her ID and password. But I can't get past this "cloud icon" and the "Open" with the Plus sign, which in "essence" downloads the app, yet I do not get a visible Icon on the device, all apps show it is there yet where, I guess only apple knows. Short of resetting, would be to take it to an apple store and pay the service fee, to see if they can do it, that is if she is willing to try it...

Thanks for the help
Your first post said that you tried to download the app to her iPad using your Apple ID and password. Have you tried getting rid of the app after signing into her iPad with your Apple ID and password.

OP
E

efrain Rios

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your first post said that you tried to download the app to her iPad using your Apple ID and password. Have you tried getting rid of the app after signing into her iPad with your Apple ID and password.
yes, two days ago. tried the reset password again and finally got the reset link from apple, went to her junk mail, mind you the last three times I tried, I got the prompt from apple apple saying the link had been sent and we never got it, since I checked on all of her folders. This time it came thru and her password was reset, but the download problem still exists. Cloud icon with downarrow, click on it and when the OPen button pops up, it has a plus sign on the top left, clicking on it as i lost cause......

Thanks again

Most reactions

Latest posts