What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps from two accounts merged into one account???

Cyclodries

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bests,

I recently bought an Ipad when I was visiting my friend in HongKong. She actually convinced me to buy one and she will give me some nice apps which she already downloaded on her account!

First thing after buying was to install some of her apps by using her Itunes so i already have some usefull apps for my own. Then later i created my own account and used that to download my apps aswell.

BUT now what happens, is that everytime i want to update the apps my Ipad always asks her account and password. I cant even fill in my own username, probably her account was the first in use, but now how can i change that without losing all her apps on my Ipad? Is there a way to make her apps listed under my account?

Ps. In the configuration there isnt even a trace of her account, under the store-tab I can only see my apple-ID, so this should be okay...

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple's view is that you do not own the apps bought under your friend's account. There is no way to 'transfer' the purchases made on her account to your own. You will need to purchase those apps again on your own account. You need to log out from her account, then you will be able to log in to your own account and purchase the apps again.

If apps could be 'copied' from one account to another, this would inevitably lead to wholesale piracy of apps.

Tim

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

Tim is correct. Your friend cannot "give away" apps she's purchased. It would be no different than someone buying software, loading it on their computer and then giving (or selling) the software to someone else. It's ultimately theft/piracy. Some folks (in fact entire countries) don't seem to have a problem with that, but it is what it is. Most apps cost 99 cents. Splurge! :)

Again, welcome. Please click on the links below my signature to make the most use of the forum as well as your iPad. We'll look forward to your contributions.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Or if you can talk your friend into it (she promised you after all) she can go back into iTunes in her account and Gift you those apps (she pays again). You'll get an email with a link you can tap. It will take you to the App Store and start downloading the app (take a seconds and some notifications, so patience is recommended).

Otherwise, Tim is correct. You don't own those apps, and there is no legal way for you to keep them without paying again. If you have important files stored in them, be sure to save them off the iPad before deleting the app.

Most reactions

Latest posts