What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clickfree 500GB Wireless HDD?

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is advertised as a wireless backup solution but I would hope that it can also function a portable wireless file server.

Has anyone used this with the iPad (in conjunction with something like FileBrowser)?

I am thinking that this device + AirStash + FileBrowser might provide a way to backup photos from SD card to HDD while traveling.

If anyone is using another WiFi portable HDD with the iPad I would be interested to hear about it

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is also the Seagate WiFi Satellite. it seems more oriented towards media server applications, specifically mentions the iPad and has a supporting app called GoFlex. The app includes a folder view which suggests that general file copying may be possible.

It's not clear with either of them whether either device functions as a "file server" (e.g. embedded Linux) or requires USB connection to a computer to copy files onto them. If the former, FileBrowser should work.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
RAC said:
There is also the Seagate WiFi Satellite. it seems more oriented towards media server applications, specifically mentions the iPad and has a supporting app called GoFlex. The app includes a folder view which suggests that general file copying may be possible.

It's not clear with either of them whether either device functions as a "file server" (e.g. embedded Linux) or requires USB connection to a computer to copy files onto them. If the former, FileBrowser should work.

Though the Seagate is a compelling "prototype," I can't help feeling that Apple will provide us with a USB/Thunderbolt like port on the iPad within two years.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Though the Seagate is a compelling "prototype," I can't help feeling that Apple will provide us with a USB/Thunderbolt like port on the iPad within two years.

Having initially being very disappointed with the absence of an SD card slot + USB drive support, I am now beginning to think that WiFi (and Bluetooth) are a viable alternatives to physical connections.

Any wires attached to tablet device bring with them the risk of accidental damage. An SD slot with WiFi HDD support would appeal to me.

Of course built in slots/ports will always allow cheaper (and existing) hardware to be used.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
RAC said:
Having initially being very disappointed with the absence of an SD card slot + USB drive support, I am now beginning to think that WiFi (and Bluetooth) are a viable alternatives to physical connections.

Any wires attached to tablet device bring with them the risk of accidental damage. An SD slot with WiFi HDD support would appeal to me.

Of course built in slots/ports will always allow cheaper (and existing) hardware to be used.

The WiFi alternative(s) is attractive to me as well but speed is a concern. Also, right now the Seagate appears to be the only game in town. Though it seems well worth the $200 considering that you have it now (backordered); for myself, it seems wiser to let a bit more time pass. :)

Last edited:
OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The WiFi alternative(s) is attractive to me as well but speed is a concern. Also, right now the Seagate appears to be the only game in town. Though it seems well worth the $200 considering that you have it now (backordered); for myself, it seems wiser to let a bit more time pass. :)

Speed is definitely an issue when copying files over WiFi via the iPad (or any computer). I have been copying files on my NAS from SD to HDD using SSH (Linux commands) on the iPad on which much faster because all the action is local to the NAS box. It's just not very portable.

Ideally, I would like to see. a WiFi HDD device the size of a portable HDD (or slightly larger), battery powered, with an SD card slot and probably a USB 3 port as well.

It would have Linux onboard (for file management) and an app for copying files between the HDD, SD card and USB, and course media serving and general file viewing. Basically an "Image Tank" that uses the iPad (or other tablet) as the front end.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
RAC said:
Speed is definitely an issue when copying files over WiFi via the iPad (or any computer). I have been copying files on my NAS from SD to HDD using SSH (Linux commands) on the iPad on which much faster because all the action is local to the NAS box. It's just not very portable.

Ideally, I would like to see. a WiFi HDD device the size of a portable HDD (or slightly larger), battery powered, with an SD card slot and probably a USB 3 port as well.

It would have Linux onboard (for file management) and an app for copying files between the HDD, SD card and USB, and course media serving and general file viewing. Basically an "Image Tank" that uses the iPad (or other tablet) as the front end.

Interesting remarks, thank you.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
RAC said:

Interesting remarks, thank you.

Many NAS boxes have an option to expose the Linux shell, some actually have a web interface that can be accessed from the iPad. I actually suggested to the FileBrowser people that they provide an option to use their UI to issue Linux commands. At the moment I have a Numbers spreadsheet into which you enter the source and destination paths. It generates various Linux file system commands that can be copy/pasted into SSH.

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Really what do you base that on? Due to the lack of a file system or at least access to the file system on the iPad I don't see apple ever adding a USB port to the iPad. There is no USB port on the iPhone, iPad, or ipadtouch.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Rudinater said:
Really what do you base that on? Due to the lack of a file system or at least access to the file system on the iPad I don't see apple ever adding a USB port to the iPad. There is no USB port on the iPhone, iPad, or ipadtouch.

Things change, and the file system, a work in progress, will inevitably evolve. At any rate, people want alternatives to getting their photographs, videos, etc. into and out of their iPads quickly and efficiently, even if it is limited to certain file formats.

There is already a demand to be able to do just about everything on tablets as we resist having to carry around two or more devices. The probability is that several companies will strive to meet that demand and Apple will likely address this. Though it is possible that, in time, a wireless technology evolve to a point that might make these ports unnecessary; until we get there, I feel we may see them. No?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts