What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charging cable

alkan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello
The weak spot I find is the charging cable. The head part that plugs into the iPad very soon stops working because the wires get bent everytime you plug the head in and eventually breaks. Has anyone found a way of preventing this.
Eddy.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can greatly improve the life of your charging cable if you only grip the connector itself, never the cable, when removing the cable.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello
The weak spot I find is the charging cable. The head part that plugs into the iPad very soon stops working because the wires get bent everytime you plug the head in and eventually breaks. Has anyone found a way of preventing this.

Hi Eddy - in regards to the 'lightning' connector, my wife is on her 2nd iPad Mini & I've been using the device on my iPad Air 2 for over a year - we've never had a problem (to date) and there is no directional requirement vs. the old 30-pin adapter - as already suggested, grab the connector properly (not the cord) and gently orient and insert or withdraw the connector. Dave :)

OP
A

alkan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you giradman for your reply.
It's not the way I actually plug the head part in that's the problem it's when I am using the iPad. I am not very mobile so, I use it while sitting. The trouble is that iPad and cable rest against my stomach and it is this that bends the cable at the neck. So the simple procedure of holding the iPad and then putting it down causes the cable to flex the next time I pick it up to use it. This eventually causes a strain on the wires which after a short time become disconnected or broken. I wouldn't mind if this happened after a lot of use but I've only had the new charging cable for a few days. This hasn't been thought out in the designing of the cable. Its ok if you are only using the cable to charge, but I am using the iPad a lot of the time while charging. The only thing I can do is to use the iPad unconnected till the icon registers about 5% battery, then charge it, but this is inconvenient. If the charging slot had been located on the opposite edge of iPad then I would have no bother.

OP
A

alkan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
Thank you for that hint. I will get a new cable and try that. I need to get a new cable because the one that I have been using is already showing the the connecting wires and I can't get the small rubber sleeve back inside. Anyway your suggestion seems to be the one to work with. Thanks
eddy

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi
Thank you for that hint. I will get a new cable and try that. I need to get a new cable because the one that I have been using is already showing the the connecting wires and I can't get the small rubber sleeve back inside. Anyway your suggestion seems to be the one to work with. Thanks
eddy
You're welcome. Please tell us how it works out for you.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Have you tried holding the iPad with the home button at the top? This would keep the charging cable from pressing and flexing against your stomach.

Hi again Eddy - thanks for the clarification - I actually try not to use the iPad when charging for the reason(s) you mention, but when plugged in, I do exactly what Scifan.. suggested, i.e. invert my iPad w/ the HOME button at top and the cord held sturdy by my hand. Good luck - Dave :)

Most reactions