What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad constantly connects and then disconnects from iPad

benbegg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 2nd Gen iPad 12.9 which was purchased in July 2017. I hardly ever connect this to my iMac but just use the lightning cable to keep the iPad charged. Recently when I have tried to connect it to my iPad it will connect and then disconnect constantly. I have found that keeping pressure on the cable plug where it connects to the iPad stops this happening. I assume there is a weakness in the lightning cable and the contacts are maybe a bit corroded. I don't have apple care on this iPad. Would I be expected to buy a new Lightning Cable or do you think this should be swapped over by Apple?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have a 2nd Gen iPad 12.9 which was purchased in July 2017. I hardly ever connect this to my iMac but just use the lightning cable to keep the iPad charged. Recently when I have tried to connect it to my iPad it will connect and then disconnect constantly. I have found that keeping pressure on the cable plug where it connects to the iPad stops this happening. I assume there is a weakness in the lightning cable and the contacts are maybe a bit corroded. I don't have apple care on this iPad. Would I be expected to buy a new Lightning Cable or do you think this should be swapped over by Apple?

Well, sounds like you own a 2nd G iPad Pro that is out of warranty w/o having Apple Care - check HERE to assess Apple's pricing for iPad repairs. My first suggestion would be to try another lightning cable, esp. as you state corrosion might be an issue (you can also try to clean the contacts gently w/ an eraser and/or alcohol); second, make sure that the port does not have any debris inside; and finally, if none of these suggestions helps, then you may need to visit an Apple store for a diagnostic evaluation, if one is close to you. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts