What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Change or add an email address.

Pauley

iPF Novice
Reaction score
i have an original iPad Pro and run iOS 11.2. I’m having a devil of a time trying to add an email address and to change another email address. I googled it and it says to go to settings - accounts and passwords - add an account....but I don’t have that option. I can go to accounts and passwords, then at the bottom it has “advanced” and in that section I can choose mail. However when I tap that, there is no option to change or add an account.

I know I’m overlooking this, but I just can’t see it. Anyone...please...?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you allow changes? Go to Settings - General - Restrictions, enter the passcode, then scroll down to Allow Changes - Accounts. Make sure you chose Allow Changes there.

OP
P

Pauley

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do you allow changes? Go to Settings - General - Restrictions, enter the passcode, then scroll down to Allow Changes - Accounts. Make sure you chose Allow Changes there.

I have restrictions set to off.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In Settings - Accounts & Passwords, it should look similar to this, and Add Account is what you’d have to see there, if there are no restrictions.
25BD6FBA-C0D5-43B9-8AB6-E2CEC088348E.jpeg

OP
P

Pauley

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok, I did find what you show in the photo...thank you. If I click on that, will I be able to change the iCloud email address?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You will add another email account, if you use “Add Account”.

Changing the iCloud ID email address is different. First of all: do you have to create the new email address, or does it already exist?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Before you change the account/iCloud ID, make sure there’s nothing connected to that ID (iCloud Photo Library, e.g.). This would be lost after changing it.

In Settings - Accounts & Password, tap the current iCloud account. Then scroll down to Find my iPad, select it and turn it off.
E4C7A8DD-C11A-4254-BE6D-2367121189B8.png

That done, sign out. You might get a few popups (photos will be removed, notes in the Notes app will be deleted, ...). If you wish to change the account, you’ll have to agree and proceed.

Then sign in again with the new email address that you intend to use from now on.

OP
P

Pauley

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you, but before I try that, I have a question...am I understanding this correctly....I should turn off photos, calendars and whatever else I have turned on, to,turn it to off? After I follow the procedure you speak of, I can turn on my photos, calendars..etc and the data within will be restored?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
After changing the email that way, they will not be connected to the new iCloud ID. That’s why my advice was to make sure there’s nothing connected to the “old” ID. The images will not be restored with the new ID. Calendar events will reappear when you set up the old ID as email address, notes will be there again as well, if you enable it for the old ID/email address.

OP
P

Pauley

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is very confusing for me...I think I would be better off leaving this alone. Thank you very much for all the help.
Merry Christmas.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry.

I’ll try explaining it once more.
Backups you make to iCloud right now, with the current iCloud ID, are tied to that ID only. So if you replace it with a different one that already exists, you can’t use those backups any more, because of the new iCloud ID.
It’s the same with photos. iCloud Photo Library, Photo Sharing, and My PhotoStream are tied to one email address/iCloud ID only. When you change the ID, you can’t access them any more on your iPad. They are still available online, btw, when you login to www.icloud.com on a computer, so you could save them from there. There are a few other features tied to the iCloud ID as well that will disappear, when you change the ID.

For contacts, reminders, notes and calendar events, it’s not necessary to keep the iCloud ID. These are tied to the email address. When you set up the email address of the current iCloud ID after changing the ID on your iPad (not as iCloud ID, but simply as an online account), and you enable them, they will appear on your device again. Just as an example to show what might be used from the current account, if you replace it with a new iCloud ID and add the email address to your accounts(this is from an Outlook account, though):
8A3A9374-986C-4DA0-B9B2-345B9ECF68BC.jpeg

Hope that helps.

Merry Christmas!

OP
P

Pauley

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry it took so long to reply. I get sick a lot as I’m a disabled vet...anyhow. I did change my Apple ID, but was not able to change my @icloud or my @me email address...for some reason I don’t think it can be changed. I’m getting inundated with spam. I never use either one of those address`s but I’m getting so much spam for all kinds of things from loans to insurances, etc. I’ve tried flagging those emails without opening them, then deleting them...but I still get them. Driving me absolutely nuts.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Junk mail can be a nuisance! When it comes, try marking it as Spam (under the same icon as Flag). It will then be consigned to the Junk Folder and subsequent similar missives should, when the system learns your preferences, go there too. You can then periodically delete them on masse.
The other thing you may be able to do, especially if the senders are reputable people, is to use the Unsubscribe facility, usually found at the bottom of a letter.

OP
P

Pauley

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, but I’ve tried all that and they just keep on coming. The strange this is it’s the @icloud and the @me email address that get them, and I never use those email address....

Most reactions

Latest posts