Change or add an email address.

Discussion in 'iPad Pro Forum' started by Pauley, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Pauley

Pauley
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    i have an original iPad Pro and run iOS 11.2. I’m having a devil of a time trying to add an email address and to change another email address. I googled it and it says to go to settings - accounts and passwords - add an account....but I don’t have that option. I can go to accounts and passwords, then at the bottom it has “advanced” and in that section I can choose mail. However when I tap that, there is no option to change or add an account.

I know I’m overlooking this, but I just can’t see it. Anyone...please...?

2. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you allow changes? Go to Settings - General - Restrictions, enter the passcode, then scroll down to Allow Changes - Accounts. Make sure you chose Allow Changes there.

3. Pauley

Pauley
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I have restrictions set to off.

4. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    In Settings - Accounts & Passwords, it should look similar to this, and Add Account is what you’d have to see there, if there are no restrictions.
    25BD6FBA-C0D5-43B9-8AB6-E2CEC088348E.jpeg

5. Pauley

Pauley
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I did find what you show in the photo...thank you. If I click on that, will I be able to change the iCloud email address?

6. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You will add another email account, if you use “Add Account”.

Changing the iCloud ID email address is different. First of all: do you have to create the new email address, or does it already exist?

7. Pauley

Pauley
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    It already exists. There are two of them...

8. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Before you change the account/iCloud ID, make sure there’s nothing connected to that ID (iCloud Photo Library, e.g.). This would be lost after changing it.

In Settings - Accounts & Password, tap the current iCloud account. Then scroll down to Find my iPad, select it and turn it off.
    E4C7A8DD-C11A-4254-BE6D-2367121189B8.png
    That done, sign out. You might get a few popups (photos will be removed, notes in the Notes app will be deleted, ...). If you wish to change the account, you’ll have to agree and proceed.

Then sign in again with the new email address that you intend to use from now on.

9. Pauley

Pauley
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Thank you, but before I try that, I have a question...am I understanding this correctly....I should turn off photos, calendars and whatever else I have turned on, to,turn it to off? After I follow the procedure you speak of, I can turn on my photos, calendars..etc and the data within will be restored?

10. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    After changing the email that way, they will not be connected to the new iCloud ID. That’s why my advice was to make sure there’s nothing connected to the “old” ID. The images will not be restored with the new ID. Calendar events will reappear when you set up the old ID as email address, notes will be there again as well, if you enable it for the old ID/email address.