What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

change contact for unregistered contacts

FrankHgh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have several contacts on my ipad 3all simular to iphone5, some are not "registered" How can i still TXT these contacts?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you are on iOS 8 on both the iPhone and iPad, and using the same iCloud account, you can go into the iPhone's Messages settings and turn on Text Message Forwarding. This will enable your iPad to use the iPhone's SMS texting for both sending and receiving texts.

Be sure Send as SMS is also turned on for the iPhone.

The iPad by itself can only send iMessages, which require that the receiver have an Apple device or computer. SMS, which is a cellphone service (not from Apple) can send and receive from almost any phone. When the iPhone decides that the number you are sending to can not be reached using iMessages, it automatically sends it using SMS instead (if it's turned on).

Obviously both the iPad and iPhone must have an internet connection for this to work.

Hold in mind that your cellular provider may charge your if your SMS plan does not cover the cost of the SMS texts.

OP
FrankHgh

FrankHgh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are on iOS 8 on both the iPhone and iPad, and using the same iCloud account, you can go into the iPhone's Messages settings and turn on Text Message Forwarding. This will enable your iPad to use the iPhone's SMS texting for both sending and receiving texts.

Be sure Send as SMS is also turned on for the iPhone.

The iPad by itself can only send iMessages, which require that the receiver have an Apple device or computer. SMS, which is a cellphone service (not from Apple) can send and receive from almost any phone. When the iPhone decides that the number you are sending to can not be reached using iMessages, it automatically sends it using SMS instead (if it's turned on).

Obviously both the iPad and iPhone must have an internet connection for this to work.

Hold in mind that your cellular provider may charge your if your SMS plan does not cover the cost of the SMS texts.
Thanks much,,It's slow but it's working

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The process is slow,,i did have the SMS off, than turned on recently.

I see a gap of several seconds to half a minute on my SMS messages between devices. That doesn't bother me. I rarely use Messages as a real time communication tool. I read and send them when I get to it, more frequently than email, but I don't interrupt my current task to grab the phone and type a reply.

The big benefit (to me) is not about being able to instantly send and receive SMS on the iPad. It's about having the same conversation show up on both devices, complete, without missing pieces as it used to when only iMessages showed up on the iPad.

I rarely use the iPad to send or receive messages (unless if I happen to be using it when something comes in), but I sometimes need to refer to an old conversation or copy an image while on the iPad. It's nice not having to play games to get it from the iPhone to the iPad.

The phone call forwarding is close to instant. Both devices are ringing within seconds of each other. But since they both have to be on the same network, and my place is small enough that nothing is more than a few steps away, I've turned it off. It's really annoying when you've already answered the iPhone and the iPad is still ringing. It only happens for a few seconds, but thats usually when you're trying to hear the other person's reply to your greeting. Not to mention what they're probably hearing on their end.

OP
FrankHgh

FrankHgh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The time is, time to change (and not all) registered contacts on my ipad from iphone, although some have changed so i can txt them, not all have changed or are greyed out.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The time is, time to change (and not all) registered contacts on my ipad from iphone, although some have changed so i can txt them, not all have changed or are greyed out.

Try turning iMessages off on the iPad. While it's off make sure the device forwarding turns off in the iPhone's Messages settings.. Enable it in both places again after a few minutes.

With a little luck this will force everything to sync again.

Most reactions

Latest posts