Carolina Shore - Ocean, Seafood, History & More!

Discussion in 'Travel Stories' started by giradman, Oct 29, 2013.

1. suenc

suenc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I remember only parts of that trip, since I had hurt my back and was in a drug-induced haze. It would be nice to go back sometime and actually see the above mentioned sights. I do remember the ferry--it was like a mini cruise ship.

2. suenc

suenc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Peaceful, interesting place. Looking forward to Atlantic Beach, too. Maybe another dinner of bluefish at the Sanitary Fish Market.

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hey - Susan has finally 'chimed in' to this thread! :) Now I remember her 'back issue' but she did enjoy that BC inner passage cruise and we had a memorable dinner at a Chinese seafood restaurant in Vancouver - our 'fish & lobster' order were brought to the table live, and then cooked - GREAT!

The Sanitary Fish Market (pic below from the '50s - opened in the late 1930s) in Morehead City is on the bridge to Atlantic Beach - Susan enjoys bluefish, SO I hope that it is still offered on the menu (not a popular choice) - I remember in Montauk, Long Island of going out w/ her father to trawl for bluefish - kind of an oily seafood that he liked to smoke and make into a dip. BUT, will be a fun return to a really old-fashioned seafood place on the Carolina coast. More to follow! Dave :)
    sanitary-fish-market-post-card.jpg

#63 giradman, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Atlantic Beach - Beaufort - Cape Lookout Lighthouse & More!

Susan and I are on a short 4-night trip to Atlantic Beach, a barrier island near Morehead City/Beaufort, NC - about a 4-hour drive from our home (see the first 2 maps below) - this is kind of a continuation of my latest previous posts about the NC lighthouses - we are staying at a 'modest' place which is quite nice, the DoubleTree Inn w/ an 8th floor oceanfront room (a few pics from the two balconies below) - the beach on the Atlantic Ocean is beautiful and goes for miles in both directions. The weather is 'iffy' throughout our stay - tomorrow, we will try for a boat ride from Harker's Island to the Cape Lookout Lighthouse.

Activities will include a visit to the Pine Knoll Shores Aquarium just down the road (and one of 3 NC aquariums), a return to the NC Maritime Museum in Beaufort (where artifacts from the undersea ongoing archeological investigation of Blackbeard's ship, the Queen Anne Revenge, are kept), a number of boat rides and tours, another return visit to Ft. Macon State Park, and some GREAT seafood eating - if rain interferes, we'll still have a good time! :) Dave
    AtlBeach1a.png AtlBeach1b.png AtlBeach2.JPG AtlBeach3.JPG AtlBeach4.JPG AtlBeach5.JPG AtlBeach6.jpg AtlBeach7.JPG

5. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It looks like a very nice place to visit and has great views but it seems very exposed to severe storms. Have any hurricanes been through the area?

6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Well, the Atlantic coast that we often visit from Virginia to Florida is lined w/ numerous barrier islands which are basically 'sand deposits' - plus, these islands are often densely populated - tropical storms and hurricanes are common and expected occurences - just the 'risk' one needs to take to visit and much less live on these islands. Plus, North Carolina juts out east into the Atlantic Ocean, especially the Outer Banks, so is certainly in danger of being hit by these storms (in one of my last posts, I showed Hatteras Island 'cut in half'); but any of these areas depending on the severity of the storm, duration, and its landfall can affect these coastal USA states. Of course, these types of storms occur in the Gulf Coast and on both sides of Mexico.

The Atlantic Hurricane Season (see quote below) is officially June 1 to the end of November, and peaks in September (but we've been aware of this season for 4+ decades) - see diagram. Of course as you know, these storms/hurricanes are given names (this year's list below - according to the first quote below, Hurricane Earl hit Mexico last month). Because of these frequent and often devastating storms, the area has be nicknamed the Graveyard of the Atlantic (second quote - the museum on Hatteras Island is worth a visit).

As to the tropical systems in the Morehead City area, I did find this Source - just a few facts: 1) Tropical Storm to Hurricane ratio, 56% vs. 44%; 2) Longest gap between 'storms', 8 years (1986-1995); 3) Area is 'brushed or hit' every 1.6 years; and 4) Direct hurricane hits, every 5.3 years. BUT, the people along these coastal areas are resilient and typically rebuild - how global warming will affect these barrier islands in the next few decades will be interesting - but Susan & I will continue to enjoy them for now. :) Dave

AtlBeachB1.png AtlBeachB2.jpg AtlBeachB3.png AtlBeachB4.jpg

7. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the information.
    If modern development could be kept away from the most dangerous areas, damage and loss of life would be much less when these storms hit. Unfortunately, developers out to make a buck and people looking for the best views without considering the potential dangers won't let that ever happen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Last night we ate at the Amos Mosquito's Restaurant - I had a freshly caught grilled grouper (line caught by the chef who was fishing 14 miles out to sea on Monday, their day off) that was superb; Susan had shellfish/grouper over pasta (like a bouillabaisse) which I always fear for her because the seafood MUST not be overcooked - well, she was thrilled w/ the dish (first 2 images below of the restaurant - sign & the inside room where we sat) - on the second image notice the view from the windows.

After dinner walking to our car, there was a small wooden pier w/ a viewing area that was beautiful - basically looking back toward Morehead City - but in the midst of the water & wetlands were these very small strips of 'sand islands' w/ housing complexes and boats - apropos to Scifan..'s comments, these would be utterly destroyed even in a tropical storm, I suspect - BUT, looked beautiful and inviting from Susan's iPhone pics - risky business, me thinks? Dave :)
    MosqRest2.jpg MosqRest1.jpg MosqRest3.JPG MosqRest4.JPG

9. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Beaufort (North Carolina), Blackbeard, Queen Anne's Revenge, & NC Maritime Museum

On our first full day, we drove to Harkers Island in anticipation of taking the short ferry ride over to the Cape Lookout Lighthouse - rain started and we did not go - next day, weather was also rainy, so not an option on this short trip. Instead, we went into Beaufort - see map below and relationship to Atlantic Beach-Fort Macon State Park - the underwater archeologic site of Blackbeard's flag ship, the Queen Anne's Revenge, is just over a mile south of Ft. Macon near the Beaufort Inlet - the remains of the ship were discovered in 1996 and undersea research has been an ongoing project w/ an exhibit of the the findings w/i the NC Maritime Museum located in downtown Beaufort.

Beaufort was established in 1709 and is considered (although debated) to be the third oldest town in North Carolina (see quote below), and not to be confused w/ a city of the same name in South Carolina - the NC town is pronounced BOW-FURT. The NC Maritime Museum and the associated Watercraft Center for boat restoration and training are located on Front Street across from each other. The museum has wonderful exhibits about the nautical history of North Carolina, but the highlight is about the ongoing underwater project on the study and recovery of objects related to the Queen Anne's Revenge (see second quote below from link) which was the flag ship of the infamous early 18th century pirate, Blackbeard (a.k.a. Edward Teach). Below are a number of 'inside pics' (could not use a flash so not great quality) of portions of the Queen Anne's Revenge exhibit, where Susan met a new friend (and parrot) - if in the vicinity, this museum is a MUST stop. More on Beaufort in the next post! Dave :)

BeaufortA1.png BeaufortA2_MaritimeMuseum1.JPG BeaufortA3_MTMuesum2.JPG BeaufortA4_Entry.JPG BeaufortB1_ModelSite.JPG BeaufortB2_Entry.JPG BeaufortB3.JPG BeaufortB4.JPG BeaufortC1.JPG BeaufortC2.JPG BeaufortC3.JPG BeaufortC4.JPG BeaufortC5.JPG BeaufortC6.JPG

10. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That's quite an interesting museum. Thanks for showing us the photos.