What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carolina Shore - Ocean, Seafood, History & More!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Such a wonderful write up of your trip Giradman.....it sounds so beautiful with so much to see and experience. I love actually seeing the photos of these areas, I've heard of so many cities in the US through reading books but it's so nice to finally see what they're really like.

Lovely pics too! Those gators must be everywhere there!

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Such a wonderful write up of your trip Giradman.....it sounds so beautiful with so much to see and experience. I love actually seeing the photos of these areas, I've heard of so many cities in the US through reading books but it's so nice to finally see what they're really like.

Lovely pics too! Those gators must be everywhere there!

Hi Leelai - Magnolia Planation was started back in the late 17th century and was an important producer of Carolina rice up to the Civil War - the day was overcast and none of my more scenic pics really reflected the beauty of the place (now I do have some from a previous trip on my laptop but no access @ the moment) - for those interested, just google 'Magnolia Plantation' and then tap on 'Images' to get an idea.

Concerning the gators, we saw youngsters probably just 2-3 y/o and MUCH larger bull alligators like the one shown in my post, probably about 40 y/o by the boat guide's estimate - the wild life on that plantation is just a joy to see - again for anyone traveling in the area, a top recommended visit! Dave :)

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Wrightsville Beach - October 2014 Trip!

Well, thought that I would do an addendum to this thread - we just spent 4 nights on Wrightsville Beach and returned today - the weather was wonderful w/ highs in the 70s. This time we stayed at the Shell Island Resort w/ an oceanfront condo - spectacular views of the ocean from the room and the wetlands on the other side separating the island from the mainland (pic below - white arrow at the resort which is pretty much @ the northern tip of the island).

Wrightsville Beach is located next to Wilmington in the southeastern corner of North Carolina (see the first map w/ arrows) - the city is on the Cape Fear River which travels southerly opening into the Southport town area w/ Bald Head Island close by; between the river & the ocean is a tapering pennisula w/ several beach towns; near the tip is one of the NC Aquariums, Ft. Fischer (of Civil War fame), and the ferry that crosses over to Southport; the second aerial photo shows the same lower geographic region (arrows are on the ferry terminals which we've taken numerous times in both directions - was $5 one way).

We often do a day trip to Southport, a small town which can be reached by car from Wilmington or by the Ft. Fischer ferry (a 30 minute boat ride) - we usually like to drive one way or the other. This time I chose to drive along the western bank of the Cape Fear River; we had a delightful lunch at the Fishy Fishy Cafe which has a marina and faces some beautiful wetlands and w/ a view of the Oak Island Lighthouse; Susan had a grilled salmon BLT and I had the grilled tuna (rare for me) pita w/ greens and a mango onion/jalapeno relish. Below pics of one of the beautiful seaside houses (this one w/ a historic plaque), Susan on the pier (islands in the far background), and our 'new' car (blue arrow) on the ferry - lucked out and were the first ones off; we then visited the Carolina Beach State Park (blue arrow on the first map), which has numerous walking trails -we did about 3 miles; pic below of some living/dying longleaf pines - finally, a sunset from our room - might need another post! Dave :)

P.S. Should have put Susan's pic after the sign for the restaurant - that was taken after lunch so she was smiling after her delicious salmon BLT, me thinks! ;)

shell-island-resort.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-10-19 at 4.27.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-10-19 at 4.23.37 PM.png

WVBeach10_14_5.JPG
WVBeach10_14_Susan4.jpg
WVBeach10_14_3.JPG
WVBeach10_14_6.JPG

WVBeach10_14_8.JPG
WVBeach10_14_2.JPG

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Well, thought that I would do an addendum to this thread - we just spent 4 nights on Wrightsville Beach and returned today - the weather was wonderful w/ highs in the 70s. This time we stayed at the Shell Island Resort w/ an oceanfront condo - spectacular views of the ocean from the room and the wetlands on the other side separating the island from the mainland (pic below - white arrow at the resort which is pretty much @ the northern tip of the island).

Wrightsville Beach is located next to Wilmington in the southeastern corner of North Carolina (see the first map w/ arrows) - the city is on the Cape Fear River which travels southerly opening into the Southport town area w/ Bald Head Island close by; between the river & the ocean is a tapering pennisula w/ several beach towns; near the tip is one of the NC Aquariums, Ft. Fischer (of Civil War fame), and the ferry that crosses over to Southport; the second aerial photo shows the same lower geographic region (arrows are on the ferry terminals which we've taken numerous times in both directions - was $5 one way).

We often do a day trip to Southport, a small town which can be reached by car from Wilmington or by the Ft. Fischer ferry (a 30 minute boat ride) - we usually like to drive one way or the other. This time I chose to drive along the western bank of the Cape Fear River; we had a delightful lunch at the Fishy Fishy Cafe which has a marina and faces some beautiful wetlands and w/ a view of the Oak Island Lighthouse; Susan had a grilled salmon BLT and I had the grilled tuna (rare for me) pita w/ greens and a mango onion/jalapeno relish. Below pics of one of the beautiful seaside houses (this one w/ a historic plaque), Susan on the pier (islands in the far background), and our 'new' car (blue arrow) on the ferry - lucked out and were the first ones off; we then visited the Carolina Beach State Park (blue arrow on the first map), which has numerous walking trails -we did about 3 miles; pic below of some living/dying longleaf pines - finally, a sunset from our room - might need another post! Dave :)

P.S. Should have put Susan's pic after the sign for the restaurant - that was taken after lunch so she was smiling after her delicious salmon BLT, me thinks! ;)

View attachment 60812 View attachment 60813 View attachment 60814

View attachment 60815 View attachment 60816 View attachment 60817 View attachment 60818

View attachment 60820 View attachment 60821
Thanks for another interesting travel story with excellent pictures.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for another interesting travel story with excellent pictures.

Thanks Scifan.. for your comments - there is plenty of interesting history & stories for the coastal Carolinas - so just may go on w/ a few - :)

Just one example for those interested is the precarious nature of the barrier islands that extend along the eastern coast of the United States (and of course elsewhere in the world) - these are basically piles of sand that are susceptible to changes in the ocean currents & the weather; many are not stable, i.e. increasing or decreasing in size (Hatteras Island on the Outer Banks of North Carolina is a good example).

But back to Wrightsville Beach, the northern portion of the island has been unstable - below the first pic is of the Shell Island Resort about 10 years ago when the channel to the intracoastal waterway was about to destroy the property along w/ others - well, the Army Corp of Engineers were called in to help and w/ the input of millions of dollars, the channel was shifted north a good distance - see the second pic (the arrow is on the same resort - AMAZING!) - a few days ago I walked all the way to the 'new' northern tip of the island and felt the resort was safe (at least for the moment) - love to visit but glad that I don't own property there - Dave :)

shellis.jpg
Mason-Inlet_dsearls_flickr.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Scifan.. for your comments - there is plenty of interesting history & stories for the coastal Carolinas - so just may go on w/ a few - :)

Just one example for those interested is the precarious nature of the barrier islands that extend along the eastern coast of the United States (and of course elsewhere in the world) - these are basically piles of sand that are susceptible to changes in the ocean currents & the weather; many are not stable, i.e. increasing or decreasing in size (Hatteras Island on the Outer Banks of North Carolina is a good example).

But back to Wrightsville Beach, the northern portion of the island has been unstable - below the first pic is of the Shell Island Resort about 10 years ago when the channel to the intracoastal waterway was about to destroy the property along w/ others - well, the Army Corp of Engineers were called in to help and w/ the input of millions of dollars, the channel was shifted north a good distance - see the second pic (the arrow is on the same resort - AMAZING!) - a few days ago I walked all the way to the 'new' northern tip of the island and felt the resort was safe (at least for the moment) - love to visit but glad that I don't own property there - Dave :)

View attachment 60824 View attachment 60825
It looks like the channel was only a few yards away from the resort in your first photo :eek:

All to often it seems that major changes are made to the environment with no thought of the resulting collateral damage.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It looks like the channel was only a few yards away from the resort in your first photo :eek:

All to often it seems that major changes are made to the environment with no thought of the resulting collateral damage.

Yep I remember staying there when the water was REALLY close to the resort or walking the beach from the Holiday Inn (our other alternate hotel option) to see how close the water was to the Shell Island complex - indeed it was scary (especially for those owning & renting the condos) - the cause was simply nature and the changing shape of these islands that naturally occurs or is made to occur by the currents and/or weather (i.e. hurricanes).

Below is a partial quote from HERE - the island just north is called 'Figure 8' and it's southern shore had been increasing in size over those years; SO, the Army Corp of Engineers decided to relocate Mason channel about 3000 ft north of the Shell Island property - thus the channel was cut through the lower end of Figure 8 Island and the area in-between was kind of 'filled in' for simplicity; BUT obviously a complex and expensive engineering accomplishment - I've been amazed over the years watching this process. Dave :)

Over the past 30 years, Mason Inlet, in New Hanover County, North Carolina, has steadily migrated southward. Since1985,the migration has resulted in a loss of 2,200 feet of shoreline at the north end of Wrightsville Beach. The resulting beach erosion threatened not only private homes, but also the nine- story Shell Island Resort Hotel.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another very interesting and readable addition to this travel thread of yours Dave. Great photos and description of your and Susan's experiences in your State. You've turned my iPad into an excellent arm chair travel book.:)
Andrew

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Another very interesting and readable addition to this travel thread of yours Dave. Great photos and description of your and Susan's experiences in your State. You've turned my iPad into an excellent arm chair travel book.:)
Andrew

Hi Andrew - thanks for the comments! Dave :)

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Carolina Beach State Park

Wilmington and environs offer numerous sites, activities, history to explore for visitors - just to mention a few: 1) Front Street on the Cape Fear River (tours, boat rides, history, shopping); 2) Historic colonial & ante-bellum houses; 3) Cape Fear Museum; 4) Cameron Art Museum; 5) USS North Carolina (a WWII destroyer); 6) Ft. Fischer; 7) NC Aquarium; and 8) Brunswick Town State Historic Site - BUT, we actually did several 'new' activities on our most recent visit.

One was a visit to the Carolina Beach State Park - the map & aerial view below show the location on the west side of the peninsula at the level of Carolina Beach which forms its eastern & southern borders; the other two boundaries are the Intracoastal Waterway (north) and the Cape Fear River - the park contains a small but informative visitor's center, a marina, and a variety of trails. Quoted below just a few paragraphs from their Website - a unique place and most fascinating is the presence of these carnivorous plants, such as the Venus Flytrap - additional pics of the trails, river, a fly trap, and the marina - Dave :)

Three limesink ponds, each vegetated by a unique plant community, are found in the park. Cypress Pond, the most unusual limesink pond in the park, is dominated by a dwarf cypress swamp forest. Lily Pond is occupied by the broad, oval leaves and beautiful, white flowers of water lilies, which cover its waters in early summer. Grass Pond, which dries out almost every year, is filled with a variety of aquatic sedges. Carnivorous plants thrive in the boggy soil around its edge and in the park's acidic, mineral-poor soil.

Several interesting carnivorous plants thrive at Carolina Beach State Park by trapping and digesting insects. Among these carnivorous plants are pitcher plants, bladderworts, sundews and butterworts, but the most familiar—and the most spectacular—is the Venus flytrap.

With the appearance of a clam shell, the trap is actually a modified leaf. Its interior may be colored pale yellow to bright red. When its trigger hairs are touched by an insect, the halves close and the guard hairs mesh, entrapping its prey. The plant then secretes digestive fluids and, within three to five days, nutrients from the prey are absorbed and the trap reopens. Each trap dies after closing and opening three times. Throughout the growing season, new traps emerge from underground stems to replace those that have died.

Venus flytraps are native only within 60 to 75 miles of Wilmington. New propagation methods have saved the flytrap from becoming an endangered species.
carolina_beach_map_1_630_pxlw.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-10-20 at 2.19.19 PM.png
640.23165.jpg
640.23164.jpg
Venus-fly-trap-on-Carolina-Beach-State-Park-Flytrap-Trail.jpg
640.22815.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Very nice pictures. We don't have Venus Flytraps where I live. Is the marina almost empty because of the season?

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Very nice pictures. We don't have Venus Flytraps where I live. Is the marina almost empty because of the season?

Apparently, the Venus Flytrap is native to the East Coast wetlands of the Carolinas, so unique to the area - I was not aware of the fact that their natural habitat is so limited - kind of neat.

Not sure about the marina - picture shown was on their website, so may have been taken intentionally w/o boats - we did not take the trail that went to the marina but I found another picture on the web that shows much activity - likely seasonal w/ more activity in the summer months - the campground is apparently popular and was 'full' on our visit even in October. Dave :)
48093.jpeg

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Carolina Beach State Park

Wilmington and environs offer numerous sites, activities, history to explore for visitors - just to mention a few: 1) Front Street on the Cape Fear River (tours, boat rides, history, shopping); 2) Historic colonial & ante-bellum houses; 3) Cape Fear Museum; 4) Cameron Art Museum; 5) USS North Carolina (a WWII destroyer); 6) Ft. Fischer; 7) NC Aquarium; and 8) Brunswick Town State Historic Site - BUT, we actually did several 'new' activities on our most recent visit.

One was a visit to the Carolina Beach State Park - the map & aerial view below show the location on the west side of the peninsula at the level of Carolina Beach which forms its eastern & southern borders; the other two boundaries are the Intracoastal Waterway (north) and the Cape Fear River - the park contains a small but informative visitor's center, a marina, and a variety of trails. Quoted below just a few paragraphs from their Website - a unique place and most fascinating is the presence of these carnivorous plants, such as the Venus Flytrap - additional pics of the trails, river, a fly trap, and the marina - Dave :)

View attachment 60842 View attachment 60843 View attachment 60844 View attachment 60845 View attachment 60846 View attachment 60847
Very nice nature trails, but 3 miles of walking in hot weather was a bit much for this aging citizen. We seem to have missed the Venus flytrap trail, so next time we'll make a concerted effort to find it.

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score

View attachment 60812 View attachment 60813 View attachment 60814

View attachment 60815 View attachment 60816 View attachment 60817 View attachment 60818

View attachment 60820 View attachment 60821

The ocean is nature's tranquilizer. I forget the mundane tasks waiting for me at home. By the way, I was smiling at the scenery!

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The ocean is nature's tranquilizer. I forget the mundane tasks waiting for me at home. By the way, I was smiling at the scenery!

OH - Susan has 'chimed in' - but I still think that smile was for the Salmon BLT she had for lunch! :)

Most reactions

Latest posts