What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't update ipad 1 to ios5...screen sits on backing up ipad for hours

anssuperstar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had my ipad 1 since 2010 when it first came out. I have never performed an upgrade to this ipad. I am trying to update now and have connected the ipad cord to computer it pulls up ipad and tells me it is going to perform the update. However every time it sits on a screen saying "backing up ipad" for hours and the green bar doesn't move at all. HELP please!!! Thank you
Amber

OP
A

anssuperstar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I meant to say it pulls up iTunes (not pulls up ipad)...I do have the latest version of iTunes as i just updated the iphones in the house to ios 6. Thank you. My ipad screen also says sync in progress for these hours....just nothing happens :(

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You might have a corrupted backup. My recommendation is to delete the backup, then try to run another backup.

In case you don't know (apologies if you do), to delete a backup in iTunes, go to Edit > Preferences > Devices. You should be at this screen:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348926764.691924.jpg

As you can see - all backups in iTunes appear. Select any/all the backups for your specific device (only) and delete them. Close out that pop up window and try running your backup again. Hopefully, this time it will work and you can then move on to the upgrade.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts