What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot google

Cosmo113

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Every time I try to search on google I get the "catcha".? Screen. Where it wants me to enter the word shown. When I enter the word it keeps on giving me another. Ultimately I can no longer search on google. I can search on other search engines though such as yahoo. This just started, and in case it is important, I recently added a yahoo email account. I read somewhere else on my quest to figure this out that there may be some connection. Are there viruses or malware that could be causing this?
Thanks for any help you can offer!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I did a little research and apparently Google does then when it detects what it thinks are automated traffic from your computer. This is usually caused by a virus or malware.

It is highly unlikely that your iPad has a virus or malware, (only slightly more likely if your device is jailbroken).

If you have any other computers on the same network you may want to run malware and virus checks on them. It is unlikely that Google would be able to tell the difference between the devices on your network, so any one of them could be causing the problem.

Unusual traffic from your computer network : Trouble connecting - Web Search Help

You could double check your iPad by going to another network and seeing if your Google search works there. A free hotspot like McDonalds or Starbucks would work.

OP
C

Cosmo113

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you I will try that. We have a desktop and a laptop on same system. I know google works on the laptop. I will check the other for malware but it is protected and rarely used so I am not thinking that is the problem. My iPad is not jail broken so I did not think a virus was possible either. It is just so frustrating! Thank you for your reply. I will try on another network tomorrow.

OP
C

Cosmo113

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay. I determined that all computers on system cannot google. I ran a virus scan on desktop. One was found an I quarantined it. This did not fix the problem. I then did a malware scan. Nothing was found. My husband scanned his laptop and nothing was found. I still cannot google on the computers more than just once or twice before I get the captcha screen. Does anyone have any other ideas? I did restart each computer and clear all history on all of them. This is not an iPad issue like I originally thought but maybe someone will know what to do. Thanks for any input :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I remember the link I found said something about contacting Google if cleaning up the malware didn't do the job. They may need to reset something to get you off the captcha list.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Oops, I remembered wrong. It says to talk you your network administrator (your ISP), and if it isn't resolved have them contact Google. I was mobile when I replied before, and didn't recheck the link.

Same link I posted previously.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Cosmo113 said:
Every time I try to search on google I get the "catcha".? Screen. Where it wants me to enter the word shown. When I enter the word it keeps on giving me another. Ultimately I can no longer search on google. I can search on other search engines though such as yahoo. This just started, and in case it is important, I recently added a yahoo email account. I read somewhere else on my quest to figure this out that there may be some connection. Are there viruses or malware that could be causing this?
Thanks for any help you can offer!

If you are using a browser other than Safari such as Atomic, iCab, etc. which allows you to change the identity of your browser, change it from Mobile Safari to Mobile Safari - iPad and I'm pretty sure that you will be cured.

OP
C

Cosmo113

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Oops, I remembered wrong. It says to talk you your network administrator (your ISP), and if it isn't resolved have them contact Google. I was mobile when I replied before, and didn't recheck the link.

Same link I posted previously.

I already did it and not sure if it will matter this way or the other. My ISP is horrible so it may be better to take my chances this way. I will call them next if I get no results from google soon. So far nothing has changed. I hope you weren't typing and driving earlier!?!? 

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I hope you weren't typing and driving earlier!?!? 

Walking the dogs, and no where near traffic. Wasn't even walking, since they were already off leash and roaming the dog area. I was even leaning against the fence, so I was in no danger of falling over. :D

But I was using he iPhone, and don't visit web pages on it unless I really need too. It's a good web browser for a phone, but it's still a phone sized screen.

OP
C

Cosmo113

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem seems to be fixed. I called my ISP who was ZERO help. I emailed the IP address info to google and now it does not seem to be a problem anymore. But not sure if they fixed it or possibly the fact that we have a non-static IP address helped. I really do not know how often it changes, but I am happy we are back in business..... At least for now. Thanks for your help even though this turned out to not be an ipad problem.

Most reactions

Latest posts