What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keyboard keeps dropping on google

Snafu169

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This only started in the last month ( it seems), and only on google....but then again I only search on google so I'll have to double cheek the other search engines..... When I click on the search box it almost always drops before I can start to type....then I click on box again and it does this several times.... I literally can only type a few characters each time!

Any one else had this? I suspect it is either no, or search the forum lol.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When things start acting a bit weird, it's a good idea to completely shut the iPad off and restart. You should probably do this at least once a week (my unsupported opinion on frequency.)

Just hold down the power button for about three seconds. You'll get a power off slider. Go ahead and slide it off. Wait until the iPad completely shuts down and then restart it by holding down the power button for about three seconds again.

For more serious problems, when shutting it off doesn't work, you can do a soft reset. Hold down the power and home key for about 10 seconds, or until the Apple logo appears. Let go and wait for it to reboot. This will take a few minutes, so be patient.

OP
S

Snafu169

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Didn't help, I think it has something to do with googles autocomplete, as it stopped after I turned it off in google settings...I'll have to monitor it to see if it lasts

Rek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I experienced this also, it only seems to happen when I am logged into igoogle account, my homepage contains several widgets that are updating information, weather, news, etc. When I logged out I don't seem to experience the keyboard dropping anymore.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've noticed that if the page is not %100 loaded when I select a entry field it will often kick the keyboard back down. Depends on what is on the page.

I would have never noticed this if you hadn't said something, and I was in a hurry to test different pages for the problem.

If you've got AutoFill set on in Safari's preferences you might try and turn that off. It shouldn't be the problem, but it's worth a check.

Last edited:
OP
S

Snafu169

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I experienced this also, it only seems to happen when I am logged into igoogle account, my homepage contains several widgets that are updating information, weather, news, etc. When I logged out I don't seem to experience the keyboard dropping anymore.

Yes I have igoogle also, and I just tried it with it logged out and seems to do the trick, but I swear I tried that before, so I'll keep an eye on it..

Thanks

OP
S

Snafu169

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It doesn't seem to happen anymore.... Could be the safari update, or something google change

Bluesswift

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks for this advice, as my iPad began acting weird today and dropping website connections. Carried out the complete power down procedure and fingers crossed it now appears to be ok again.

JesterSevens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old thread but I have this problem on my ipad 3, latest iOS. It's not the end of the world but it is bloody annoying!

kolohe61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It happens all the time for me, and not with google. It's even more annoying when it causes you to hit a link and go somewhere you don't want to go, especially when on a slow connection, and it takes forever to get back. Couldn't Apple make a fix for this?

Most reactions

Latest posts