What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot delete apps?

Swordstone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I left my iPad at my friend's house a while back, and, being the proficient hacker he is, he messed around with my iPad before returning it.
Now need to delete a few apps from my iPad, but it doesn't let me. To clarify, I have already:
1. held down the app so it wiggles (there was no red x button)
2. tried deleting the apps directly from iTunes (the Remove button is grayed out)
3. checked in restrictions and see if the Deleting Apps option works (it's set to off)
4. tried an alternate program from iTunes to delete the apps directly off the iPad's file system (apparently it doesn't work that way without jailbreak)
5. resetting all settings (apparently that doesn't apply to the firmware options)

I'm trying to set the Deleting Apps option back to on so I can delete the apps, but the switch is grayed out, not letting me interact with it at all. I'm suspecting some sort of firmware switch that has been triggered to not allow me to delete apps. Is there any way to flip this firmware switch in order to let me turn on deleting apps again? I also really don't want to have to jailbreak my iPad to get it to delete apps again.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
All I can think is that the iPad has had Restrictions turned on (so you can't delete apps). To check, go to the General tab in your Settings app. On the right side will be the line titled "Restrictions." See if it's turned ON. If it is, you will need your "friend" to give you the code to go further.

Then, once you get into Restrictions, ensure the ability to delete apps has been turned on (the switch shows green).

Unless you are trying to delete the stock/default apps that come with the iPad, I see no other way to prevent deleting apps...

Marilyn

OP
S

Swordstone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All I can think is that the iPad has had Restrictions turned on (so you can't delete apps). To check, go to the General tab in your Settings app. On the right side will be the line titled "Restrictions." See if it's turned ON. If it is, you will need your "friend" to give you the code to go further.

Then, once you get into Restrictions, ensure the ability to delete apps has been turned on (the switch shows green).

Unless you are trying to delete the stock/default apps that come with the iPad, I see no other way to prevent deleting apps...

Marilyn

"3. checked in restrictions and see if the Deleting Apps option works (it's set to off)"
There's no passcode for restrictions, as the restrictions aren't turned on, but I can't switch the Deleting Apps option back on. It's stuck at off, and the whole option is grayed out.
These aren't stock apps I'm trying to delete, I know you can't delete those. I'm trying to delete third party apps that I don't need anymore and obsolete website shortcuts that now have apps for themselves.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Huh. That's odd. I've tried to replicate your issue but every time I disable restrictions, all the little buttons go to green/on.

Have you tried enabling restrictions and seeing if the act of enabling them turns them all on? Or at least allows you access to the buttons to turn them all on?

Could your friend have put on a profile somehow? As in - when you are in that General tab, is there any line titled Profile? Cause you can set Restrictions via a profile...

I'm sorry, but that's all I've got. Unless someone else comes along that can give better answers, my next suggestion is to take it to the Geniuses at at Apple Store and see if they know what to do.

Or, take it over to your friend's house and have him "fix" it for you...

Marilyn

OP
S

Swordstone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Turns out that it was a profile he set after all. Thank you so much for all the help, now if you'll excuse me, I need to go find a suitably thick baseball bat to hit my friend over the head with.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Turns out that it was a profile he set after all. Thank you so much for all the help, now if you'll excuse me, I need to go find a suitably thick baseball bat to hit my friend over the head with.

Well, I'm glad you got it sorted. And, give him a whack for me! :D

Friends. What can you do with them?!! :)

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts