What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Cannot be played on this iPad' error...

markk100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good day all,

The saga continues for me to get a dvd playable on my iPad.

Last night I ripped 'Into the Wild' to a mp4 format. It worked, I now have the entire movie (sans all the other junk) in mp4 format. I imported it into iTunes and went to sync my iPad and i got the following notice upon completion of sync:

'The movie Into_The_Wild was not synced as it cannot be played on this iPad'

Hmmmm...So, is it because I don't have a certain player app on my iPad? Did I convert it at too high of settings (I tried to follow Numblock's sweet spot post best I could)? Or something else.

I ripped the DVD directly to mp4 via the platinum edition of Winx DVD.

Noteworthy Settings below:

Kind: MPEG-4 video file
Size: 2.62 GB
Bit Rate: 127 kbs
Profile: Low Complexity
Channels: Stereo
Encoded with: DigiArty AV Encoder Core
Total Bit Rate: 2527 kbps
Video Dimensions: 1200x720
Video Codec: MPEG-4

I really thought I had this nailed, but maybe either I don't have an app on my iPad to launch this, i.e. Quicktime or whatever, or my settings are way off? If the later is true, I don't know how to easily manipulate the current MP4 that I have. Is there a way to do that, if that's the problem.

Thanks in advance for all of your comments, direction...

Cheers,

M

Last edited:

robsoule

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have used a program called Ultimate DVD + Video Converter Suite by cucusoft. They have settings for iPad. Once in the .mp4 format, I simply drag over from my desktop over to my iTunes and it syncs automatically. Another route is to rip into .mp4 format, then you can create a folder in your iTunes library, then go through the steps to 'Add Folder to Library'. After in your library, it should be able to sync to the iPad. Good luck and hope this helps.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
if you look at the iPad specs it says

MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels,

could be the total bit rate is 2.52 and it supports up to 2.5
Could be the pixels are to high, it supports 640X480 and you got 1200x720

OP
M

markk100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks for the input. I don't think it's so much the problem that I couldn't get it into iTunes, as it's sitting there, it just won't sync.

MikeToolz, I think you have it on the head then. I didn't realize that if I set it at 2400 that it would also add the audio kbps to the number to exceed 2.5Mbps. I also didn't realize that iPad says 640x480.

I thought I read in Numblock's post that the sweetspot was what I'd set to produce; however, either he was talking a different format, or I simply misread something.

Okay, so, now what? Without another 5.5 hour investment, can I easily manipulate the current .mp4 file I have to fit inside the parameters we've just spoke of? I have Winx DVD Platinum and Format Factory 2.20.

Thanks!

Cheers,

M

OP
M

markk100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quick update for those who are looking for an easy solution, and to those who responded:

Well, it finally worked. Had I looked at the damned program thoroughly the first time, I would have seen that Winx DVD has presets for the iPad (they also have presets for iPod, iPhone, Zune, etc...) and one can chose three levels of quality.

So, the second time around, I went plain jane, middle of the road quality. One click rip from copyright protected DVD (I own it) to iPad format. Worked flawlessly, no issues with synching either...

Downsides are two fold perhaps to some. WinX DVD Platinum will set you back 30 bones. Interface is really slick though, and I think it's worth the money, personally due to it's one click, full lifecycle capabilities. The second one is time. It took a REALLY long time. About 12 hours...to me, that seems like a ridiculous amount of time...not sure if the application is notoriously slow, or my laptop isn't powerful enough, or the quality is just high and therefore it takes time. I'm going to play around with some other DVD's I have, to see if I can find a better balance, and get the time down to 5-6 hours at worst. Not sure if I can or not...I'm also going to do the work on my desktop, as it's much more robust. That may or may not help...

In any event, I am a ripping virgin no more...

Thanks to all of the posts, research, help, advice, and info from all who contributed.

Cheers,

M

RyanSweeney

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded the Free Giveaway version of WinXDVD. Ripped two DVDs (that I own) this morning. Each one took 30-45 minutes...and the second one was a 2 hour and 3 minute movie.

Most reactions

Latest posts