What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Video Will not Play on my Ipad 1st Gen

CMSQUARED

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Recently downloaded a season each of the following:

Sons of Anarchy & True Blood

1) Both were in .mkv format
2) both were converted using Video Passthrough (Already H.264)
3) Both were encoded with AAC-LC @ 160 kbs & 44.10 khz

Here is what each "Movie Inspector" shows in QT 7

True Blood Format:
H.264, 1280 x 720, Millions
AAC, Stereo (L R), 44.100 kHz

Sons of Anarchy Format:
AAC, Stereo (L R), 44.100 kHz
H.264, 1280 x 720, Millions

Here's my Question: Both these vids work fine in itunes as well as on my Apple TV (New Gen). But only one will be synced to Ipad. Can you guess which one? Probably not. CAUSE THEY SEEM TO BE EXACTLY THE SAME!!!!.......This is incredibly frustruating and I am at wits end. I bought QT pro because I would like to avoid the incredibly long time it takes to convert a movie by using the pass through options.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

adam.o.ao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the answer you're looking for, but you can try and download the VLC Media Player app (Unless it has been removed from the Appstore, I bought it LONG ago), and try and drag-and-drop them onto the app in iTunes, it plays nearly every file format flawlessly and transfers them without a problem.

OP
C

CMSQUARED

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I want to keep things streamlined through apple/itunes, apple prodcust.....etc. This may sound OCD but It's just my pref. I did however, find the solution. Update Ipad version to 4.3.3. Can you believe it....this is all I needed to do. I havent's updated because for some reason I get a message when I try to update software that says Itunes cannot connect to the apple server. This happens every time...for months now. I called Apple and all they told me was that I should visit the store or try another computer. So, the only other computer I have is a macbook at the 'rents house which updates fine but only when I visit. I should start a new thread for this. Thanks though.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
CMSQUARED said:
Thanks for the suggestion. I want to keep things streamlined through apple/itunes, apple prodcust.....etc. This may sound OCD but It's just my pref. I did however, find the solution. Update Ipad version to 4.3.3. Can you believe it....this is all I needed to do. I havent's updated because for some reason I get a message when I try to update software that says Itunes cannot connect to the apple server. This happens every time...for months now. I called Apple and all they told me was that I should visit the store or try another computer. So, the only other computer I have is a macbook at the 'rents house which updates fine but only when I visit. I should start a new thread for this. Thanks though.

My preference is AVplayerHD from the app store that will play .mkv videos without all the re-encodin' BS. Even allows you to transfer the movies to the app via wifi without using iTunes. Less time encodin' more time watchin'....

Last edited:

Most reactions