can you use smart cover on ipad 1?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by mikeos, Mar 17, 2011.

1. mikeos

mikeos iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    hi all,
    does the smart cover for ipad 2 fit the ipad 1?
    and if not, does anyone know if any 3rd party cases of a similar design will be available for first gen ipad?

2. biobunny

biobunny iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    I don't think the smart cover will fit the iPad 1 and I don't think there are any alternatives (yet). I actually hope there will be alternatives sooner or later though. I know that the iPad 2 has some magnets in it to help support the smart cover.

3. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    The Smart Cover will not fit or work with the iPad1, unfortunately. The iPad2 has a number of magnets inside its case to secure the Smart Cover in place. Those magnets were not fitted to the iPad1, so the cover would not 'attach' to it.

In addition, the Smart Cover automatically switches the iPad2 on and off. It does this by having some magnetic field sensors inside the case of the iPad2 that detect when the cover is being folded back or being replaced. Once again, unfortunately, the iPad1 does not have those sensors.

Although a third party vendor might be able to produce a cover that *looked like* the Smart Cover for the iPad1, since the iPad1 does not have those magnetic field sensors, there's no way that this pseudo Smart Cover could turn an iPad1 on and off.

Tim
    Scotland

4. DDWO

DDWO iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    are magnets dangerous for the ipad1?

I was thinking about applying an adhesive magnet to my ipad1 to allow my stylus to adhere to it. But I am not certain if this could cause any internal damage to my iPad. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, D

5. biobunny

biobunny iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Actually people look at this http://www.therussiansusedapencil.com/post/4000630884/smart-cover-for-ipad-1 , here is where a person puts magnets on the smart cover in a smart way without disturbing the internal electronics. The only downside is that the smart cover won't work that well, but still it's not very hard and the side magnets are fairly efficient.

Sent from my interestingcompanionPad using iPF!