What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you change icons in the status bar on iPad 1?

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have tried multiple themes and searched though the directory structure for possible names of the icons in the status bar with iFile. I end up with the default status bar except for the name . I'd like to change the battery picture and the wifi connection symbol.
UIImages seems to work for the iPad 2 in the theme directory, but not for the iPad 1. Perhaps I'm overlooking something.
Fid

Sent from my iPad using iPF - Peace

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The names for the graphics on ipad 1 & 2 are identical.
There is a difference between iOS 4.3.3 and 5.0.1.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here are my notes from when I changed my WiFi bars to be smiley faces (they changed color based on WiFi bars). The biggest thing is that the names changed with iOS 5.0.1. So:

Everything in your UIImages folder that is Black_ needs to be changed to WhiteOnBlackShadow_
and Silver_ needs to be changed to ColorOnGrayShadow_ (Except for the Base.png e.g Silver_Base.png stays as it is!)

e.g Black_DataTypeUMTS is now WhiteOnBlackShadow_DataTypeUMTS.png
e.g Silver_DataTypeUMTS is now ColorOnGrayShadow_DataTypeUMTS.png

----

I also made note of this problem:

PROBLEM:
Silver (ColorOnGrayShadow) icons work wonders!...but as I've said on my end the Black (WhiteOnBlackShadow) only shows when I bring down the Notifications Center.

SOLUTION:
try to name the graphics also "WhiteOnBlackEtch_"

so that you have, for example, one Graphic three times with the names

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

-------

So, changing all the names to the three above worked for me and my WiFi bars. I believe the battery is the same...

Hope this helps. And that I've understood the question... :)

Marilyn

OP
Fid

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ah, I should have said that I have iOS 5.0.1.
When I search with ifiles for any of the names in UIImages the resulting list is only those which are within themes. There are no results in the /System/Library branch.
I shall keep experimenting.
Thank you.

(edit). I would search for partial file names; for instance, batt for battery.

Last edited:
OP
Fid

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I changed many of the items within the UIImages folder to have the WhiteOnBlack_. Then I added the @2x part. I tested these one at a time, even though I didn't have a clue as to what the @2x part does. When that didn't work I re-read your post Marilyn and decided to try the one with Etch. After renaming I decided to respring via Wnterboard. As I was going though the motions I noticed as I hit the respring button that the wifi was blue. Too late. I had to wait.
[edit: found that @2x are for the larger icons or pictures.]
Next up, I'll test out the one that replaces "silver".

Thank you both for the help. I'll keep at it until I am able to alter the time and the name of the iPad. Not just the colors of the text.

Sent from my iPad using iPF - Peace

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts