What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

can wifi only ipad be tethered to android mobile phones

xxmanzyxx666

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, Im new to the site, got a wifi only ipad as a gift at christmas,wanted 3g really, I know it cant be updated but read something about tethering to an android mobile, is this possible and if so how do you do it?

Brianb0327

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have Android 2.2 you should be able to tether. Under phone Settings, go to wireless and network, Mobile AP and turn it on. Under settings on IPad it should find the Android network under WiFi.
Just connect. It works great. No need to pay for separate 3G.

OP
X

xxmanzyxx666

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dont have android 2.2, I have sony erricsson experia x10 mini pro updated to 2.1, and have found that this can be tethered but now I am having problems trying to root my phone, any suggestions would be appreciated,:confused:

Last edited:

Azvjc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice work! I had to jail break my iphone 3GS to turn it into a hotspot for my wife's wi- fi only iPad. I ordered my iPad2 with 3G for the GPS and haven't tried out the 3G capability yet.

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 3G iPad 2, but I have never activated the 3G as I can tether it for free to my rooted DroidX phone........

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes it can be done, I'm using my rooted HTC Evo to tether to my IPad2.

But you have to root your phone first. You stated that you phone is running 2.1, that fine and it can be rooted just fine. Google droid forum or droid root and you will find all the information you need to root you phone.

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a Symbian phone and using Joiku I can tether iPad via wifi hotspot.

Most reactions

Latest posts