What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can iPad access Blackberry Bold GPS

NebulaM57

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Considering purchasing an iPad. My employer provides me a Blackberry Bold for work/home. Wondering if possible for the iPad to connect and use the GPS in the Blackberry via bluetooth. I understand the iPad will triangulate via wireless but can it access the GPS in the phone.

Thank you for your time,

Doug

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure about blackberry, but when I wifi tether my droid I can get location info somehow. It's really close too.

Jake18oly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure about blackberry, but when I wifi tether my droid I can get location info somehow. It's really close too.

I get the same thing when tethering my droid. It is really strange though because my gps is turned off on the droid but I get a better location on the ipad than I do on maps on the droid.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At this time there is no way to tether/connect a Blackberry to the iPad so the current answer is no. :(

Bluetooth on the iPad is pretty limited, basically its for speakers/headsets and keyboards, thats about it. No data transfer, no tether.

The only way to use a cell phone with the iPad is via cell phone as a wireless hotspot... jailbreak iPhone, root Android, use PalmPre, use app for WinMo...

gregd72002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can use this: hxxp://code.google.com/p/blue-gps/
(change hxxp to http).

This works for me when using ipod with my blackberry. For iOS you will need something like iOS AirBlue GPS

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
No you cannot use the GPS from your blackberry. There are always some sort of workaround or hack but it not going to just work without some effort on your part to tweak or hack it. Also triangulating via wireless is not always accurate and it will not work via blackberry internet it only works when it see's a fixed wifi hotspot that doesn't move around.

If you pay the $120 more you can upgrade to a 3G model that comes with built in GPS. This is well worth the extra cost. You do not have to ever use the 3G service if you don't want to and you don't have to sign up for anything. 3G service is optional and the GPS works with or without 3G service.

gregd72002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No you cannot use the GPS from your blackberry. [...]

Yes, you can using the program above. What it does is forwards NMEA sentences via bluetooth to connected device. I guess there is some more logic in the program itself but for end-user it is transparent and what I do is simply switch it on and I can use my blackberry as it was a Bluetooth GPS received.

Most reactions

Latest posts