What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I eliminate reminders for updating to iOS 9.2.3?

PatsyK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do not wish to upgrade my iPad 3. How long will the upgrade reminders continue to pop up upon signing in? What can I do to make them go away?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I do not wish to upgrade my iPad 3. How long will the upgrade reminders continue to pop up upon signing in? What can I do to make them go away?
I'm afraid that those upgrade reminders are there until you update your iPad. There's no way to turn them off.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw this somewhere else, maybe it will help:

It looks like your iPad has already downloaded the software, and now it's waiting and reminding you to install it.

Go to Settings - General - Storage & iCloud Usage - Storage - Manage Storage. Wait until everything has loaded, look for the update and delete it. Also, make sure you have "Automatic Downloads" disabled for updates in Settings - iTunes & App Store.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw this somewhere else, maybe it will help:

It looks like your iPad has already downloaded the software, and now it's waiting and reminding you to install it.

Go to Settings - General - Storage & iCloud Usage - Storage - Manage Storage. Wait until everything has loaded, look for the update and delete it. Also, make sure you have "Automatic Downloads" disabled for updates in Settings - iTunes & App Store.
That will get the downloaded update deleted but it will download itself again the next time your iPad is connected to the charger while on WiFi. Disabling Automatic Downloads for iTunes and the App Store won't stop iOS update downloads as they don't come from iTunes or the App Store.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That will get the downloaded update deleted but it will download itself again the next time your iPad is connected to the charger while on WiFi. Disabling Automatic Downloads for iTunes and the App Store won't stop iOS update downloads as they don't come from iTunes or the App Store.
So disabling Wi-Fi while it's charging should prevent the download, I guess.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is there a reason you don't want to update? 9.3.2 will be no worse than anything higher than iOS 8. If your iPad is slow and clunky, a restore via iTunes usually does the trick.

OP
PatsyK

PatsyK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a reason you don't want to update? 9.3.2 will be no worse than anything higher than iOS 8. If your iPad is slow and clunky, a restore via iTunes usually does the trick.

My iPad is fine as it is now. I am inclined to employ the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" technique. I've heard stories about problems with this particular update.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There have been stories about problems with every version of iOS all the way back to iOS 1.0. You're far more likely to hear about the few who had problems than about the millions that had no problems whatsoever.

One of the things that iOS updates address are security upgrades and bug fixes. Also, app developers tend to drop support for older iOS versions in their updated apps, meaning some apps may no longer work for you.

Last edited:

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's all about choice, this owner has no wish to update.
Apple should leave people like us alone, until we decide the time is right. Just my opinion.

Gregory Isaacs r.i.p.

Most reactions

Latest posts