What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buy iPad 2 from USA or not

twonks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:)Hi I have a friend in the USA and he can get me a iPad 2 at a great saving. Am I getting a good deal or am I buying trouble ???

ewaht

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I look at it with resale value eyes down the line as it would be easier to sell a UK version than a USA one.:)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I look at it with resale value eyes down the line as it would be easier to sell a UK version than a USA one.:)

Other than the plug on the power supply, there is no difference between any versions of the iPad sold anywhere in the world with the GSM SIM card slot.

What would make a unit purchased in the UK have a higher resale value than one purchased in the US?

-t

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thewitt said:
Other than the plug on the power supply, there is no difference between any versions of the iPad sold anywhere in the world with the GSM SIM card slot.

-t

Apart from the Verizon model which won't operate on a UK network, it needs to be the AT&T version.

The Archangel

OP
T

twonks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All thanks for the advice. I was going to get the wifi.Bluetooth version because I was told the 3G wont work in the UK, Have I been miss imformed and the AT+T will work ? Also what accessories would you recommend.

Twonks

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The AT&T model, with the GSM SIM card slot, is the ONLY model that will work outside the US.

The Verizon model is CDMA, does not use a SIM card, and has to be programmed by the network provider. As of this time there are no other CDMA providers authorized for this model.

-t

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Absolutely, the AT&T GSM version works just fine - we have many Members who have bought one in the US. But remember the Import Duty and VAT that you'll need to pay when you import the iPad into the UK make those dollar prices look less attractive.

Tim

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Recently there was a a vendor on eBay.co.uk selling a stock of verizone iPad2's 64's

I asked the same question if it was jail broken,and he honestly advised 3G can't work in UK, but is the same in all other respects.

Being supplied from in the uk you will have no issues with import duties, you also have 3 months warranty from the vendor.

So depends imho on how vital the iPad2 will be ti you, it is not a cheap bit if kit to buy and we all love savings, but what happens if it did go wrong has to be considered, in making your decision to take a calculated rusk and buy off shore ti save money, or not and have reassurances but for more money.

Regs
ipadbraincell

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's true that the Verizon model will not work in the UK because it uses the CDMA 3G standard, which is supported only in the US and a very few other countries. The AT&T model uses GSM, which works in the US and most all other countries too.

Tim

Most reactions