What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Building an iPad from scratch...?

KOD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

A good friend of mine owns a small company supplying parts, for phones ect and had alot of iPad parts - he said i can have any part at cost price as he is curious if i can build an iPad.

So far i can obtain the following parts for around £170 (all OEM parts, All new)

Battery
16GB silver rear case
16GB Wi-Fi logic board
Digitizer
LCD
WI-Fi antenna + housing
Headphone jack
LCD harness (cable)
Blue-tooth antenna
mid frame
volume / power buttons
GPS antenna
Home button
home button board
Complete screw and adhesive kit

Do i need anything else? am i missing anything? any help would be appreciated as i don't want to buy all of these parts to find out im missing something important and expensive.

Thanks in advance

K.O.D

Reaction score
Do you know how to install the iOS? I am also assuming there is some sort BIOS as well. You probably cannot install iOS through iTunes, if the device is not recognized as an iPad.

It seems like an interesting idea to build your own iPad, but I don't think you can install iOS on it.

OP
K

KOD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would think i could put it in DFU mode and plug it into iTunes? Or maybe the logic board comes with the OS (will have to check)

Reaction score
rmojo said:
Can a GPS antenna be put into a WiFi board? I thought that only the 3G had that?

Of course.

The reason why only 3G has GPS is because they share their circuitry and Apple didn't bother including a separate GPS antenna for the Wifi only version. But if you change the hardware, you might just add a GPS antenna.

OP
K

KOD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rmojo said:
Can a GPS antenna be put into a WiFi board? I thought that only the 3G had that?

Of course.

The reason why only 3G has GPS is because they share their circuitry and Apple didn't bother including a separate GPS antenna for the Wifi only version. But if you change the hardware, you might just add a GPS antenna.

Its worth trying, the logic board does accommodate the 3G antenna - plug it in and see that happens i guess.

I think i just need the internal volume / power buttons and internal cable (struggling to find) and the light sensor

Cadena96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipads, iphones, ipod touches, apple tv's ALL verify when you set them up...this won't work, you'll need a mac pro for size, and find a copy of the os, and a dev kit...that's the best shot...and that still won't work...

ipod touchs have gps on wifi...

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the Hard-Reboot on PCs are build into the hardware even if the the OS is pretty much broken then the iPad should have DFU mode build in because I know that when you run android on a iDevice still responds if you hard-reboot/put it into DFU mode. So I wish you good luck on your project!!

Edit: I think that the bios is automatically set up when it's made in the factory.

Last edited:

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I say go for it, no matter what anyone says, they dont really know if you can or not, only you will know after you try it.

Ipad007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
im definitely keeping an eye on this thread. you would have the worlds first homemade ipad!

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Ipad007 said:
im definitely keeping an eye on this thread. you would have the worlds first homemade ipad!

same here

as for os and hardware not available, second hand broken ipads?

Most reactions

Latest posts