What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brand new iPad not charging at all :(

Harris1171

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tomorrow it is my daughter's Bday and I got her iPad. I bought it online from US markets and it has arrived in about 10 days ago.
I kept it for tomorrow- but somehow i decided to open it and charge at least for 10-16 hours prior to give it to my daughter: here you go same problem ever- not charging. :(
Not charging at all, and my computer does not see the device at all.
I tried 4-5 different cables to charge it -useless. I went and got me another wall unit charger - changed my computer. Useless :(
I think I got defective iPad that is it. And I do not know what to do. Pls help. In my country we do not have apple stores nor specials who might help me with defective iPad.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tomorrow it is my daughter's Bday and I got her iPad. I bought it online from US markets and it has arrived in about 10 days ago.
I kept it for tomorrow- but somehow i decided to open it and charge at least for 10-16 hours prior to give it to my daughter: here you go same problem ever- not charging. :(
Not charging at all, and my computer does not see the device at all.
I tried 4-5 different cables to charge it -useless. I went and got me another wall unit charger - changed my computer. Useless :(
I think I got defective iPad that is it. And I do not know what to do. Pls help. In my country we do not have apple stores nor specials who might help me with defective iPad.

Does it power up at all? It should, even brand new ones have enough power to power up. If it does, just reboot ur device. Then try again. So u saying when u plug charger into ipad, symbol doesnt change to charging? Maybe the charger itself is defective. Try another cable. Or just exchange it if nuthin wrks. Hope u get it wrkin b4 time to give it to her ;-)

OP
H

Harris1171

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It powers on but says connect to iTunes. I tried to rebooting useless. Like I said i got 5 different cables with me now.
Isn't there anything else i can do before returning it back to US?
I thought apple usually check items before selling :(
They ruined my plans (((

famerbeen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could probably get the amount you paid for it minus $10 - $30. But you could loose more, it just depends on demand. But because it christmas time, you shouldn't loose to much. Hope you get a good amount. Take care:)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad will only charge if connected to the Apple iPad charging adaptor. It will not charge very fast connected to a computer USB port and so, when connected to such a port, it displays the 'Not Charging' message. You need to connect it to the Apple charger, which can supply the much higher current (500mA) required to properly charge the iPad battery.

Don't worry about this - it's completely normal (but annoying, nonetheless!)

Tim
Scotland

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not annoying the reason is the USB ports cannot power the iPad to full voltage. I always charge my iPad via the wall mount it just works period just try charging from wall socket ok

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
**Technical Error Alert**
**Technical Error Alert**

Cause of Error:- Consumption of ‘wee dram’ of Scottish ‘water of life’ the night before.....

In my previous post I suggested that only the Apple iPad charger could supply the current required to rapidly charge the iPad, but incorrectly said that it supplied 500 mA. This is, of course, incorrect. The Apple iPad charger is 10W - 2 amps at 5 volts. A ‘normal’ USB computer port can supply 500 mA, as do many ‘standalone’ USB chargers.

Humble apologies - I will stick to drinking spring water......

Tim
Scotland

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is correct another problem is many USB ports on pc's more than 12 months old havevlow power USB ports and can take forever to sync an iPad. I will drink my rum now lol

OP
H

Harris1171

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you all for replies and fo trying to help me solve this issue.
But yet, I think some people still think I do not know how to charge iPad. The iPad is brand new and it is not charging neather from wall unit nor from computer. My computer desktop or laptop does not see the iPod itself. I have all kinds of cables right now with me and I know that it is not cable problem.
And I just visited the store where they seem to fix iPads- they were wondering too.
It is 16GB Wifi only iPad - brand new just out from the box and it is not working. No way for me to charge it - since I left it for few hours charging.
It is sad to confess but this is Defective iPad.
I am scared I am the only person who got defective iPad i guess. :(

Last edited:

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It powers on but says connect to iTunes. I tried to rebooting useless. Like I said i got 5 different cables with me now.
Isn't there anything else i can do before returning it back to US?
I thought apple usually check items before selling :(
They ruined my plans (((

Harris1171, did you do what the iPad told you to do when it "says connect to iTunes?" it is important advice since you have to register your daughter's iPad. You have iTunes on your PC?

The reason I ask this is I had a very similar experience with another friend's iPad. It did not show ANY status until it was registered via iTunes and the iOS was launched.

OP
H

Harris1171

iPF Noob
Reaction score
]Harris1171, did you do what the iPad told you to do when it "says connect to iTunes?" it is important advice since you have to register your daughter's iPad. You have iTunes on your PC?

The reason I ask this is I had a very similar experience with another friend's iPad. It did not show ANY status until it was registered via iTunes and the iOS was launched.[/QUOTE]

When it was turned on for the first time it indeed asked me to connect to iTunes. Not right away but after 7-8 hours when I got back from work I plugged it to computer. And then I did notice that comp was not seeing my new device.
Yes I have iTunes: I use iPhone and I have iPod touch etc.

Last edited:

yenic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Other App that would see your IPad

Hi, I can only suggest that you try another application that would 'see' your IPad besides ITunes. Phoneview (for IPhone & IPad) will 'see' your IPad when connected to your computer outside the ITunes application. This would validate that your IPad has a charging/com problem. That is all I can think of to validate your findings before you start the process of shipping it back. Good luck.

pamelapj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are not alone...

Harris1171,

I, too, have the same problem. There is one difference. I've had my iPad since Christmas. It has successfully been synced to iTunes through my Windows PC 3 or 4 times since then and has always charged with the wall charger. Today, the device is not recognized by my computer or iTunes AND when I plug it into the wall charger, it says "Not Charging" where the battery icon usually is. I've synced and charged my iPhone and both iPods today with all of the cables I've tried with the iPad, updated iTunes, reset my iPad, and gone through all of the diagnostic tests through Apple. I finally called Apple Tech Support and after trying several more things, Apple decided that the connection port on the iPad has gone bad. Luckily, it's still under warranty and they referred me to an Apple Store to swap and get a replacement. If you didn't get Apple Care Protection (which I didn't), your hardware warranty is good for a year and phone support is free for 90 days. (Otherwise, my phone call to Apple would've cost me $29 this morning!)

I hope you get it worked out. I can't wait to get my replacement tomorrow! I have to drive 100 miles to get it but it's worth it!!! I didn't want to wait for one to be shipped.

jseyedanas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
please some one help

when i switch power button on my ipad 1, its sowing charging symbol blinking and in some time its going black screen...even i conected to my charger there is no responce to it ...when ever i try to on it its showing only charging symbol..

and i tried even removing the charging dock from the board then i try to on it then also showing the charging icon blinking in red but its not switching on please some one help me.............kind request

Most reactions

Latest posts