What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 3 charging problems (newbie)

Gordk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all I bought myself a iPad 3 yesterday after running the battery flat I went to charge it using my I phone charger but took ages just to do a couple of percentage, then it was time for work come to plug it into my car charger and it is saying "not charging", great forum this is, any help and advise would be great full, thanks all

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gordk said:
Hi all I bought myself a iPad 3 yesterday after running the battery flat I went to charge it using my I phone charger but took ages just to do a couple of percentage, then it was time for work come to plug it into my car charger and it is saying "not charging", great forum this is, any help and advise would be great full, thanks all

You should charge your iPad with the supplied charger. If you charge it with an iPhone charger, it will take much longer than if you use the proper iPad charger because it has a lower power output.
The iPhone charger will charge your iPad, but only if it is in sleep mode. The same thing applies to your car charger.

Last edited:

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It sound like you are using an iPhone charger. Use the charger that came with your iPad.

OP
G

Gordk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, when I got home from work I plugged the proper iPad charger in and used that, I was just been a bit eager to get going with it. Does anybody know if there is a car charger for the new iPad? I'm a truck driver so sometimes may need to charge on the go

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, when I got home from work I plugged the proper iPad charger in and used that, I was just been a bit eager to get going with it. Does anybody know if there is a car charger for the new iPad? I'm a truck driver so sometimes may need to charge on the go

Gord, why not get an inverter. Useful for lots of stuff. :) A low power 150w one that plugs into your 12v cab socket would suffice. Cost, around £10 eg Car 150W Real Power inverter 12V DC to 220V AC Output USB NEW | eBay
And then a spare iPad charger, eg Nanobits UK 10W Mains Charger for Apple iPad and Apple iPad 2 2A (2000mA) CE Approved: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Or a PowerGen Power-U Dual USB 2A 10W Heavy Duty Ouput Car Charger for Apple iPad 2, New iPad 3, iPhone 4 4s 3Gs 3G, iPod Touch (USB cable NOT included) - White: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & a spare cable...
High Grade - Extra Long USB Sync & Charge Cable for: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Couple of ideas there, at least. :)

Walt Cullop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go to amazon or radio shack and get a car charger that is rated for two amps and all will be well. The ones you are using are only capable of around .5 to .75 amps which won't fit it. Much better than a expensive inverter.

P. S. I have three, two cars and RV and they charge fine.

Most reactions

Latest posts