What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brand New Ipad non functional

addkerr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there

If you could help me that would be great. Just received an Ipad 32gb wifi+3G. Out of the box the Ipad says to connect to itunes, this is where the problem starts. I have the latest itunes version and also usb 2.0, the Ipad will not connect to the pc. The pc doesn't even know it is there. I have also tried on another pc with same affect. After, I also tried to connect to charge via the socket. This also didn't work. The ipad didn't even recognise it was plugged in. After this I restarted the thing both from cold and running, and no joy.

Any help before I take it back to the shop with an angry face.

thanks
Adam

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay ~ Adam. I am not as good at this as most, but I will try.

What version iTunes do you have?

Is your iPad charged?

What computer are you using?

Does your iPad come on at all?

OP
A

addkerr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im using windows vista on a Toshiba laptop. But also tried on brand new touch screen laptop (not mine so dont know make). running itunes 10.1.1

The ipad turns on and tells me to connect to itunes. But this is where I cant do this and nothing happens. The ipad stays on that screen telling me to connect to itunes.

i sadly don't have the luxury of a mac to connect to sorry

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perhaps , you can visit an apple store and they can trouble shoot the issue for you. It sounds like a connection issue to me. You can also call apple care at 1-800-275-2273.

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is your toshiba laptop running iTunes 10.1.1?

Best ring the apple helpline number- which should be in the iPad manual somewhere, they should be able to sort it out for you.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kill any firewalls and open itunes before plugging in ipad.make sure you use the cable that came with it not one from ipod. Wiggle? Just ideas

Sent from my Galaxy S using Tapatalk

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Free personal setup at every Apple store

Addker-

First off, congratulations on your iPad! You're gonna love it, so just hang in there :)

Each and every Apple store offers free personal set up! If you are near an Apple store, I would swing into one. No appt needed, however, I would recommend going in as early as possible, as it's sure to be incredibly busy the day after Christmas.

ipad_setup.jpg

You could also make an appt. for an ipad workshop by going to apple.com and typing "stores" in the search field in the upper right corner; enter your zip code, and click on the store nearest you to make an appt.

Either way, I'd suggest calling Apple (try 1 800 MY APPLE), or visit Apple - Support and then click on the iPad link, or visit your nearest best buy, as most have Apple kiosks inside of them. At the very least best buys have macs in their stores, and could activate it for you. Should only take a minute or two at the most, but a free personal setup at an Apple store would be your best bet.. I'd get one still even if you got yours to sync with iTunes, especially if this is your first iPad.

Here's an article quoted from a best buy forum regarding Apple's free iPad personal setup:

.. the mothership has announced that iPad buyers are eligible for free personal setup service at the Apple Store, something our Geek Squad friends at Best Buy would charge a rather pretty penny for. Also, the mothership’s retail stores will host special workshops.

Last edited:
OP
A

addkerr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well after a while in the shop Im now getting a new one sent to me. Should be here Friday so all is good. Thanks for the suggestions, but the problem seemed to be that it just wasn't working. somebody messed up in the factory.

Cheers

Most reactions

Latest posts