What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bluetooth aerial?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bluetooth and GPS are two entirely separate systems. The GPS antenna in the iPad is internal and there is no provision to connect an external antenna. The best way to improve reception is to position the iPad so that it has a 'clear' view of the sky. GPS requires the iPad to be able to 'see' a minimum of 3 (no altitude information) or 4 (altitude available) satellites. The receiver on the iPad is a 12-channel receiver so it can, theoretically, process the signals from 12 GPS satellites simultaneously. As far as the accuracy of the GPS positional information is concerned, the more satellites the better. At times even 3 or 4 satellites may be insufficient if their geometrical configuration with respect to the iPad is unfavourable.

Tim

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just to add.. Like the GPS antenna, the Bluetooth and WiFi antennas are also internal. There's no way to add an external Bluetooth antenna.

OP
jasperandrews

jasperandrews

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks guys. I am trying to use my ipad in an airplane (i am a pilot) and the gps signal drops out when its on my lap.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - welcome from a fellow pilot (Cessna C172). There are some problems using the iPad with its internal antenna that a number of fellow pilot Members have noticed. I don't use my iPad (I have a Garmin 486) but there appear to be difficulties using it at altitude, for some reason. Have a look at the various posts those Members have made to see their suggestions for resolving these issues.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts