What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beware of knockoff chargers

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
and I just broke the end plug of a knockoff 3 feet ipad usb cable which I just bought from china for 4us$ simply just by trying to pull the plug from my ipad after charging :mad:

OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
and I just broke the end plug of a knockoff 3 feet ipad usb cable which I just bought from china for 4us$ simply just by trying to pull the plug from my ipad after charging :mad:

Consider yourself lucky that you weren't injured, or that it didn't start a fire in your home.

If we're going to spend hundreds on devices, it doesn't make sense to me to risk injury or worse by skimping on a charger. We're talking about electricity, which can be fatal.

golddust34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wouldn't condemn all 'knock off' chargers but $4US is excessively cheap and probably was garbage. I've been using a knock off for over a year now and it works fine. Paid around $9US for mine.

Notice the accidents the first post cites: The first sounds like blame shifting was easy because of the unauthorized charger. "Allegedly" was used in the second.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Someone needs to define "knockoff chargers". There are several third-party chargers that aren't dangerous....it's not as if chargers are super high-tech or something. There are zillions of chargers in use now and they aren't catching fire.

Last edited:

golddust34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Someone needs to define "knockoff chargers". There are several third-party chargers that aren't dangerous....it's not as if chargers are super high-tech or something. There are zillions are chargers in use now and they aren't catching fire.

Exactly, once in a while any manufacturer, including Apple's, could turn out a faulty charger.

OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Exactly, once in a while any manufacturer, including Apple's, could turn out a faulty charger.

Of course any company can turn out a faulty charger; there's no 100% perfection in any consumer product. The difference is, there's quality control at established brand companies, and if there's a recall, you should actually be notified. Plus if their product burns down your house, etc., you have some recourse.

I find it pretty easy to decide what's a knockoff. I don't feel compelled to define it for others. If people want to take risks to save a few bucks, their choice.

golddust34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"Quality control" ? In this day and age that's laughable. I knew someone who worked for Underwriter's Labs for a short stint a couple of years ago. That person quit because conditions were so bad - he was afraid he'd get electrocuted from the equipment they had (it was in such terrible condition); and from what he saw go through there he'll never trust that UL label again. If things are that bad there, imagine what other companies are like.

OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"Quality control" ? In this day and age that's laughable. I knew someone who worked for Underwriter's Labs for a short stint a couple of years ago. That person quit because conditions were so bad - he was afraid he'd get electrocuted from the equipment they had (it was in such terrible condition); and from what he saw go through there he'll never trust that UL label again. If things are that bad there, imagine what other companies are like.

Believe whatever you like. If you want to believe that Apple doesn't have quality control vs. knockoff charger makers, oh well, lol.

As posted long ago on this thread: Ken Shirriff's blog: Apple iPhone charger teardown: quality in a tiny expensive package

I figure people can make their own choices and if you don't figure your safety is worth a few bucks extra, it's your life, shrug.

Most reactions

Latest posts