What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting Started With iOS 4.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6cnNvBoejo[/ame]​

By now hopefully everyone is busy downloading iOS 4.2 and waiting with baited breath while it installs. Is it just me or does everyone sit rooted to the spot staring at the updating line on the iTunes screen and not daring to move in case anything goes wrong? Just me then, okay! Anyway, once everything’s all installed and your iPad restarts (cross fingers!), if you’re a fairly new iPad owner or someone who doesn’t have an iPhone 4 or newer iPod touch, you might not have a clue what to do next with your shiny new operating system, so here's a few quick pointers.

For starters, Game Center will be right in front of you on the home screen so that’s easy enough for you to investigate, and then you might like to try sorting some of your apps into folders. Simply drag one app of a similar type, such as a game app, onto another of a similar type, and it will open up a folder for you. You can experiment moving different types of apps and see what sort of folders are created automatically.

As for Multitasking, iPhone 4 owners will already be very familiar with how it all works, but if you don’t have an iPhone with Multitasking on it already it's possible that you won’t have a clue what to do next, and staring at your apps and willing them to multitask is not the answer, as I soon found out! What you have to do is double click the home button to access the Multitasking toolbar, where you can switch between the various apps with ease. It's pretty cool! You can also scroll along to the left of this bar to find the new scroll lock button (the physical scroll lock on the right of your iPad is now a mute button).

That should be enough to get you up and running, and the excellent walkthough video from TiPb at the top of the post is also very helpful if you’re not sure what to do next.

Source: iOS 4.2 for iPad walkthrough | TiPb via Mac Rumors: Apple Mac Rumors and News You Care About

RichardK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not going to install until the revert the screen orientation switch

I was looking forward to this update, but I don't "upgrade" to something that is clearly a "downgrade". Until Apple pulls their head out of their ass and changes the screen orientation lock switch back to it's original intended function, I can't "upgrade". I use this switch multiple times per day, making this switch do something that was never requested, nor needed, is just plain stupid on Apple's part.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was looking forward to this update, but I don't "upgrade" to something that is clearly a "downgrade". Until Apple pulls their head out of their ass and changes the screen orientation lock switch back to it's original intended function, I can't "upgrade". I use this switch multiple times per day, making this switch do something that was never requested, nor needed, is just plain stupid on Apple's part.

LOL, Seriously!! Because they changed the location of one button you consider this a downgrade???? You are insane!!!

If you double tap the home button you will find the orientation lock button!! Seriously come on!

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is still an orientation lock, but in a different place!

ipad46.jpg

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The orientation lock move really isn't that big of a deal - in fact, having been on 4.2 beta for a while, I actually prefer the 'soft' orientation lock; primarily because its always in the same place regardless of screen orientation.

Libbylee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I get the upgrade?

I've been waiting for it to appear on my App Store upgrades....is there somewhere else I should be looking! I'm more than anxiously awaiting it!:confused:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its not in the App Store... plug your iPad into your PC and start iTunes and it should automatically tell you there is an upgrade available. If not, select your iPad in the left colum under Devices then click on the Check for Update box.

RichardK

iPF Noob
Reaction score

LOL, Seriously!! Because they changed the location of one button you consider this a downgrade???? You are insane!!!

If you double tap the home button you will find the orientation lock button!! Seriously come on!

Seriously! I will not downgrade because of this crap move by Apple. NO ONE needs a MUTE switch. It was never needed, no one has requested it, it is a STUPID move by Apple.

I use the Screen orientation lock switch multiple times per day. I have no interest in having to close the app I am in, just to turn the switch on.

DON'T be a freaking SHEEP!

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why would you close the app your in? You just double tap the home button, the panel pops up you tap the orientation lock button and go back to what you were doing.

OP
M

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
You're welcome :D It certainly helped me so I knew it would help others too! Loving Multitasking!

RichardK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is just Apple being LAZY! Don't just accept it, don't be a freaking SHEEP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts