Getting Started With iOS 4.2

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Nov 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maura

Maura iPadForums News Team

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105 / 0
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6cnNvBoejo[/ame]​

By now hopefully everyone is busy downloading iOS 4.2 and waiting with baited breath while it installs. Is it just me or does everyone sit rooted to the spot staring at the updating line on the iTunes screen and not daring to move in case anything goes wrong? Just me then, okay! Anyway, once everything’s all installed and your iPad restarts (cross fingers!), if you’re a fairly new iPad owner or someone who doesn’t have an iPhone 4 or newer iPod touch, you might not have a clue what to do next with your shiny new operating system, so here's a few quick pointers.

For starters, Game Center will be right in front of you on the home screen so that’s easy enough for you to investigate, and then you might like to try sorting some of your apps into folders. Simply drag one app of a similar type, such as a game app, onto another of a similar type, and it will open up a folder for you. You can experiment moving different types of apps and see what sort of folders are created automatically.

As for Multitasking, iPhone 4 owners will already be very familiar with how it all works, but if you don’t have an iPhone with Multitasking on it already it's possible that you won’t have a clue what to do next, and staring at your apps and willing them to multitask is not the answer, as I soon found out! What you have to do is double click the home button to access the Multitasking toolbar, where you can switch between the various apps with ease. It's pretty cool! You can also scroll along to the left of this bar to find the new scroll lock button (the physical scroll lock on the right of your iPad is now a mute button).

That should be enough to get you up and running, and the excellent walkthough video from TiPb at the top of the post is also very helpful if you’re not sure what to do next.

Source: iOS 4.2 for iPad walkthrough | TiPb via Mac Rumors: Apple Mac Rumors and News You Care About
  2. RichardK

RichardK iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not going to install until the revert the screen orientation switch

I was looking forward to this update, but I don't "upgrade" to something that is clearly a "downgrade". Until Apple pulls their head out of their ass and changes the screen orientation lock switch back to it's original intended function, I can't "upgrade". I use this switch multiple times per day, making this switch do something that was never requested, nor needed, is just plain stupid on Apple's part.
  3. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    LOL, Seriously!! Because they changed the location of one button you consider this a downgrade???? You are insane!!!

If you double tap the home button you will find the orientation lock button!! Seriously come on!
  4. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    There is still an orientation lock, but in a different place!

[​IMG]
  5. Prasius

Prasius iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    The orientation lock move really isn't that big of a deal - in fact, having been on 4.2 beta for a while, I actually prefer the 'soft' orientation lock; primarily because its always in the same place regardless of screen orientation.
  6. hookbill

hookbill iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Nice video, thank you Maura for posting it.
  7. iain1970

iain1970 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I didn't even know you could top the twirling :eek:
  8. Libbylee

Libbylee iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How do I get the upgrade?

I've been waiting for it to appear on my App Store upgrades....is there somewhere else I should be looking! I'm more than anxiously awaiting it!:confused:
  9. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Its not in the App Store... plug your iPad into your PC and start iTunes and it should automatically tell you there is an upgrade available. If not, select your iPad in the left colum under Devices then click on the Check for Update box.
  10. redatthebeach

redatthebeach iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank this was great and very helpful:D
  11. RichardK

RichardK iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Seriously! I will not downgrade because of this crap move by Apple. NO ONE needs a MUTE switch. It was never needed, no one has requested it, it is a STUPID move by Apple.

I use the Screen orientation lock switch multiple times per day. I have no interest in having to close the app I am in, just to turn the switch on.

DON'T be a freaking SHEEP!
  12. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Why would you close the app your in? You just double tap the home button, the panel pops up you tap the orientation lock button and go back to what you were doing.
  13. Maura

Maura iPadForums News Team

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105 / 0
    You're welcome :D It certainly helped me so I knew it would help others too! Loving Multitasking!
  14. RichardK

RichardK iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is just Apple being LAZY! Don't just accept it, don't be a freaking SHEEP!
  15. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Don't be sheep? What does that even mean? Having the latest firmware on your device is somehow being a sheep?
  16. kierandill

kierandill iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So, if "being a sheep" is by definition "a timid docile person; especially : one easily influenced or led", and you are telling us to not upgrade, if we follow you and don't upgrade, we are being sheep. Quite the paradox.
    I for one have only used the switch one time - and that was to see how it worked when I found out what it was for. Not once since. So I sacrifice nothing to follow the herd, baaaaad idea or not...
  17. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Agreed...I used it maybe once or twice, then I realized the idea behind the device was the ability to rotate it at will....I use it equally in portrait and landscape and honestly find the orientation lock to be useless.
  18. Luvntravln

Luvntravln iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0

You should use an Ostrich for your avatar.

What you want will not happen; move on or stay stuck!
  19. Luvntravln

Luvntravln iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thank you very much for the video and the reference to TiPb.
  20. jwt873

jwt873 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0
    I was a bit concerned when I heard the orientation lock would change from the slider switch to an icon on the screen. I wasn't fond of the idea.

It took me all of 10 seconds to adapt to the new layout. Not only that, but I find the on screen screen icon is easier to locate and activate than the tiny physical slide switch on the side of the iPad.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.