What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

best cellular provider for iPad?

dwhygienist

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm going to upgrade my iPad 1 in the next couple of months( waiting to see if rumors of iPad 5 / Oct announcement come across means lower prices of iPad 4 if I wait) I never used the AT&T cellular on my iPad( bought it last year). I have been using my mobile WiFi off my android phone but it does not always get a strong enough signal( Sprint- eh) Now that I can choose what provider I want for a new iPad, the prices are close, I don't expect to do any big downloads- more streaming and going on the web. What provider has the best
signal- Verizon claims to be best- opinions, please? and how much data should I get- the range is from 250 mg 14.99 AT&T and sprint, Verizon had 1 gig for 20.00/month. i pay 20.00 a month for 2 gig mobile wifi- would drop it ( the prices go up to 50.00/month for 5 gig data).
I keep hearing about getting hacked using public WiFi, I had trouble just browsing Facebook at Starbucks the other day- I was connected but kept cycling and getting you are not connected to the internet( maybe the iPad- I have had this issue while hubby's iPad 4 connected no problem).
Thanks for any suggestions

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have 2GB through AT&T for about $25.00's a month, as to who is the best? Not going there. Who has the best signal where you will be using it the most? In my opinion you will need at least 2GB, I have to put the brakes on often. A couple of YouTube vids and I'm over my daily limit. Don't know about Verison, but AT&T 4G LTE is way faster than any public WIFI.

OP
D

dwhygienist

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to all, that's the kind of info I needed- I was not sure how much data I would need. I bet the folks at the apple store near me can help with what provider has the strongest signal for my needs. Back when the first iPads came out I believe only AT&T offered cell coverage. My other option is to get a portable wifi. Unless I get Clear, I'm stuck with a contract again and those plans are a 5 gig plan for 50.00/month. Nice thing about the cell plans on iPads, you can change the plan and cancel any time you want. Just the device is more money for the cellular option. Looks like the rumor train is getting more confidant about an October announcement on the iPad 5 release- It will have to have some serious wow factor for me to shell out close to 800.00 for a 16 gig with cellular, wonder how much the 4 will drop? might make up a little for the price of cellular?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can I just add here that I use a mifi here in the UK. It cost me less than price difference between a wifi and cellular iPad and it means I save every time I buy an iPad as I only need to buy the wifi version. I top up the mifi whenever I need it as it's PAYG so I'm not tied in to a contract. With what I have saved in iPad price I could have bought a mifi for every conceivable network here in the UK........just thought that I'd throw this in.

The Archangel

OP
D

dwhygienist

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I might just have to look back into a mifi . When i went to Bestbuy, they carried a no contract MIFI but had no idea on it other than it cost 49.99 to purchase. They did not know the amout of monthly data ,price or coverage strength- Thanks geek squad.

Mobilearts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Walmart's Internet on the go mifi, $69.99. No contract. Buy cards with different options, $25-$45. $25 plan has option for 2mb - doesn't expire for a year, or opt for 1.5mb for a month. Similar option for $45 plan. You must buy the card at Walmart.

Most reactions

Latest posts