BBC iPlayer Beta Site Will Be Live For iPad’s UK Launch

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by iDan, May 28, 2010.

By iDan on May 28, 2010 at 8:56 AM
  1. iDan

Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Thanks Received:

Tech Watch reports today that the BBC has found a work-around for its thorny iPad problem, and new iPad owners in the UK will now be able to view the player on their iPads. It was initially thought that users would not be able to access the iPlayer on their iPads, because of the iPlayer’s dependence on Flash, which of course the iPad famously doesn’t use. However, according to Tech Watch, Erik Huggers, Director of BBC Future Media and Technology, has said that an iPad version of the beta iPlayer site will be running this Friday, iPad launch day in the UK.
    Tech Radar, who also cover the story, say that the iPad-friendly version of the BBC iPlayer works like the YouTube Widget as a web-only version without using Flash.

And just to tie the whole story up in a neat little bow, Evening Standard Science and Technology Editor Mark Prigg who first broke the story about the iPad iPlayer this week, has confirmed today on his Twitter that it is “up and running, and looking lovely.â€

By Maura Sutton,
    Source: Tech Watch
Sub-Categories: This article has no sub-categories

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by iDan, May 28, 2010.

1. NumbLock
      Rats, only works in the UK. I was hoping it would work as a native English speaker living in central Europe.
    2. Bremen
      I wish I could use this... I am a and junkie... and I love media site apps....... I shall try anyway...

AND.... notice how a media provider can get around the flash "limitation" on idevices? Flash really is dying......
    3. Prof Quatermass
      Prof Quatermass
      I'm glad to say the new iPlayer works well on the iPad here in the UK.

But the screen is a little sparse of written content and seems to be a 'one-size-fits-all' for various hand-held devices not just the iPad.
    4. epb
      I thought there were sites that offered IP-aliasing/hosting to get around this. I know some Europeans do this to watch American tv on their web sites...
    5. Prof Quatermass
      Prof Quatermass
      Sorry but unless you've bought a UK TV License why do you think you're entitled to the BBCs content?
    6. barmonrock
      this is good update for me.
    7. abovingdon
      Lipsync issues?

I'm loving the high quality iPlayer picture on the iPad, but there is a terrible lipsync issue - with voice is out by a few seconds from the image on everything.

Is this a known issue or are there any settings I can tweak on my iPad?

8. Prof Quatermass
      Prof Quatermass
      You may wish to check your latency. If you've got a very high ping time from the BBC site to your ISP then this may cause lip sync problems.
      Maybe there is an App for doing a TRACEROUTE command?

I'd connect to your home wi-fi network and try again with your iPad and your desktop PC.
      If they are both having lip sync problems then it's common to both systems.

If not, then why not email the BBC and ask?

Could be a bug.
    9. abovingdon
      Thanks Prof,

I use iPlayer on the PC quite a bit and don't get any notable lipsync issues, so I suspect it's an iPad only problem - just wondered if anyone else was seeing it or whether there was something obvious I was missing.