What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery fading?

Wayne Block

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 7th Gen., which is not quite a year old, seems to be having a battery problem.
I admit I use it kind of hard, and don't always turn it off over night. These days it usually doesn't even get back to 100% over night.
Is that the problem, or could it be something different?
Any suggestions?

OP
W

Wayne Block

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, definitely. I haven't tried to measure how much less, but it fades very quickly.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My iPad 7th Gen., which is not quite a year old, seems to be having a battery problem.
I admit I use it kind of hard, and don't always turn it off over night. These days it usually doesn't even get back to 100% over night.
Is that the problem, or could it be something different?
Any suggestions?

Hello Wayne - the 7th G iPad was released at the end of September 2019 (Source) - not sure when you made a purchase, but if less than a year ago should still be under Apple's warranty (and 2 years if you added AppleCare) - I would suggest contacting Apple via phone (they can test the battery if you're on a WiFi network - have done this twice myself, once w/ a MBPro and another w/ an iPad, both w/ dying batteries). If you have a Mac computer, the Coconut Battery App can check the 'battery health' and cycles used on the iPad. Good luck. Dave :)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some of your “rules” might have been appropriate more than 7 years ago, or with different batteries. They don’t apply now.
There‘s no multitasking bar on the iPad. Force closing apps in the app switcher (if that’s what you’re referring to) won‘t help with the battery.
If there are problems with the battery, turning off battery percentage would be self-defeating.
To avoid battery drain because of your apps, just turn off automatic updates, and also turn off Background App Refresh. Usually I’d suggest keeping device and apps up to date.

Most reactions