What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery Care

mossman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What steps should I be taking to make sure the battery has as long a life as possible? For example, if I charge my battery over night, will that wear the battery down due to overcharging? Should I drain my battery below 10% before recharging, or does it even matter?

Grinner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Supposedly lithium ion batteries don't have memory. It's total amount of recharge that determines life rather than how deep each charge is. I'm not an engineer, but I believe this because apple has no reason to give bad advice on this issue.

I still did 2 discharges to 10% in first 3 days and I'll try to do that once per month or when convenient.

My understanding is battery is charged quickly to 80% then to a trickle after that. Overnight is no problem. In any case, should stop charging automatically when fully charged.

I don't use it plugged in when fully charged. Always charging or running off battery. And I try to discharge a reasonable but not inconvenient amount before charging.

Again though... Lithium ion batteries supposedly don't care how they're used, unlike the nickel ones. See apple's iPad help in safari bookmarks for more info.

Last edited:

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The really great part is after a few charging cycles the battery gets conditioned and it's life improves! This thing is like the gift that keeps on giving!

lobywan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it's pretty amazing how much battery life Apple has achieved vs. ANY laptop, netbook, or certainly my iphone...

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've found that cranking the screen brightness slider to 0 and turning on auto brightness makes it bright enough to use indoors and give you ridiculous battery life. I've been using it today for 1.5 hours and have used 5%

vfragos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So is it a good thing to keep the iPad plugged in the outlet whenever you can and use it or it's better to use it unplugged ?

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So is it a good thing to keep the iPad plugged in the outlet whenever you can and use it or it's better to use it unplugged ?

I guess the best advice is charge whenever you want. Other than depleting it to zero often or never unplugging it you really can't hurt these batteries. Charging it often can't hurt them.

ayerbusiness

iPF Noob
Reaction score
although I already have my iPad, I Am not sure with the right answer to all of your questions. But I would suggest that you would visit sites for the Apple iPad for more information regarding your battery.

Zardoz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try and not do Full cycle charging also there is no need to charge 100% every time running 90 to 40% is best as always you might have some venation and that's fine. if you are going to storage the unit charge it to about mid level.

Most reactions

Latest posts