What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AT&T to Verizon

metraman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was planning to switch from AT&T I know the phones won't switch how about my (2) iPads are they tied to AT&T?
Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Afraid so. Verizon and AT&T use different 3G technologies; CDMA and GSM, respecivley. The LTE (if you have 3gen iPads) is the same, but the frequencies are different.

It is possible to move an iPad 3gen from Verizon to AT&T, if you don't care about LTE. The Verizon model includes a GSM radio in order to make it useful outside the USA (where there are very few CDMA carriers), but the AT&T model does not include the CDMA radio needed to operate on Verizon's 3G.

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I switched from AT&T to Verizon recently they took my AT&T phones and provided a trade-in credit. While we were doing that we started randomly talking about iPads and they asked if my iPad was a 3G model. It's not, but I got the impression a trade would be possible there, as well. I could be wrong, but it wouldn't hurt to ask them.

OP
M

metraman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I'll be with Verizon when my 5 shows up. The guy at the store said since my Ipad 2 was purchased at Apple and it's never used the 3G it could be tethered to my phone. Does that make sence or will i have to use something like MiFi to get it to work.
Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Verizon's new plans include a wi-fi hotspot by default. Any wi-fi device can use the hotspot from your (soon to be) new iPhone 5; that includes any version of the iPad ever made.

Hold in mind that hotspot mode eats batteries. Not super fast, but it's not something you'll want to leave on all the time. For the most part you activate it as you need it, then turn it off when done. It's good for sitting down somewhere when you've got some serious browsing to do and don't want to do it on the iPhone 5; or where you can plug the iPhone into power (like in your car).

Last edited:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Verizon's new plans include a wi-fi hotspot by default. Any wi-fi device can use the hotspot from your (soon to be) new iPhone 5; that includes any version of the iPad ever made.

Hold in mind that hotspot mode eats batteries. Not super fast, but it's not something you'll want to leave on all the time. For the most part you activate it as you need it, then turn it off when done. It's good for sitting down somewhere when you've got some serious browsing to do and don't want to do it on the iPhone 5; or where you can plug the iPhone into power (like in your car).

Thanks, Twerppoet ...I was wondering about that when my iPhone 5 comes in and how it would work with Verizon. :)

OP
M

metraman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My rep at Verizon said there's a $10.00 a month charge for the option to make it a hot spot. Does anyone if that's true.
Thanks

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Mu rep at Verizon said there's a $10.00 a month charge for the option to make it a hot spot. Does anyone if that's true.
Thanks

I use the shared data plan with and iPhone 4, iPhone 5, iPad 3, and another tablet eventually. The Hotspot is included with all devices. I don't know what you get with other plans. I thought these were the only new plans available for a smart phone, but I could easily be wrong. It used to be $20 to add the hotspot to an iPhone, so if you're just trying to update your current plan, the $10 charge is probably correct.

Or if you are adding a tablet to a shared plan, that's $10 extra. It's $40 to add another phone.

The Verizon rep would know better than me.

While not cheap, the shared plan is cheaper than doing each device individually. At any rate, it was for me. And it's not like I had a choice when getting the new iPhone on contract.

Last edited:

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
metraman said:
Mu rep at Verizon said there's a $10.00 a month charge for the option to make it a hot spot. Does anyone if that's true.
Thanks

We have 5 iPhones on our shared Verizon plan. All of them act as hot spots. I asked about the tablet fees, and was told that is if you want the tablet to share the data without using a phone to tether.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
We have 5 iPhones on our shared Verizon plan. All of them act as hot spots. I asked about the tablet fees, and was told that is if you want the tablet to share the data without using a phone to tether.

Correct. That is what I meant. I should have been more specific. Thanks.

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You have to do what you have to do, but if you have a lot of apps on the iPad like I have, it's a difficult thing to let go of all those apps.
I'm not sure if the cloud or the iTunes will let you keep apps across different devices. I heard someone complaining on an app review that you had to buy an app for each device. Please correct me on this if I have misspoken.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have to do what you have to do, but if you have a lot of apps on the iPad like I have, it's a difficult thing to let go of all those apps.
I'm not sure if the cloud or the iTunes will let you keep apps across different devices. I heard someone complaining on an app review that you had to buy an app for each device. Please correct me on this if I have misspoken.

You can use the same apps on diff iDevices. Just use the same Apple/iTunes ID.

Most reactions

Latest posts