What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps print to network printer but browsers can find printer.

toglenn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I installed two printer Apps in my iPad2, Printer Pro Lite and PrintCentral and both print test pages on my HP 2015n network printer but when I try to print from my Mercury browser it searches but can't find my printer. The iPad2 User's Manual avoids the printer subject entirely. I am using a D-Link DIR-655 wireless router. Windows 7 has no problems either wireless or ethernet.

Can anybody tell me how to correct this problem?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apps can only print what is avalable to that app. You have to copy the document you want to print to the print app using Open In.

The exception is Print n Share. If you start it before you go to the app you want to print from, it should work.

Here is some more info on printing from the iPad that you may find useful.

Some of HP's printers are directly compatible with AirPrint the iPad. Though the link does not reflect it Canon has recently announced that some of it's new printers will support AirPrint.

iOS: AirPrint 101

There are a couple ways around this. One is to use an printing app on the iPad. The current favorite is Print and Share. It will work with most wi-fi printers, and those that it won't wk with can be made to work with an additional program on the computer.

The second method is to load a program on the computer that will emulate an AirPrint compatible printer. Your computer must be on and have the printer available to it. The cheapest (free) is Airprint Activator. More features can be had with FingerPrint (mac and windows) and Printopia (mac only).

I use Printopia, and love it. Tim likes Fingerprint, but he has Windows, and doesn't know what he is missing.**

There is a third way. A few printers (mostly HP's again) can be set up with their own email address. PDF attachments can be sent via this address to be printed. The last review I saw said it could be quite slow (big files not recommended), and sometimes the emails got lost and never printed. The advantage was that you could literally send/print from anywhere you have an internet connection.

OP
T

toglenn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'm learning the work-arounds needed to do normally simple tasks as on a PC.

I never expected such a poor operating system on a $600 unit. It's more of a toy than a useful piece of equipment, built more for entertainment rather than useful functions but it's a challenge that's keeps me trying to use it.

Most reactions

Latest posts