Apps for Medical Students

Discussion in 'iPad for Health Forum' started by Hartshon, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Hartshon

Hartshon
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I am looking to run a research study with medical students who will be given an iPad to support their learning.
    To encourage students to use their iPads I am investigating which are the best iPad Apps to use.
    Can anyone recommend any Apps which they consider to be helpful that can support Student Learning.
    Thanks,
    J

2. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    In terms of reference books...check out Merck Manual and also Medscape. Very good reference to have on my iPad. Also, check some of the 3-d Anatomical Apps. The graphics are excellent for patient education and also learning tools for students.

3. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Evernote
    Evernote Peek

4. drnhlau

drnhlau
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Yes I agree, in fact Medscape is a must have for medical profession. I also use Merck's Manual, I think is upgradable for free, which is not always possible with eg Harrison. GoodReader and Stanza are fantastic for PDF and ePub format respectively. Some medical websites are not downloadable, I find WEB to PDF useful in this respect. A lot of ePub medical books are available over the net (legal or illegal). Other medical books are in CHM format, I used ReadCHM. Last but not least, GoodReader could not handle large size medical books, I find PDFReader Pro very stable in handling large size PDF.

5. Hartshon

Hartshon
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will certainly check out Medscape and Merck's Manual - although I suspect some of the students will already be well informed about these. Have already considered Evernote as I know previous students have used Evernote - but wondering if Evernote Pro is worth the upgrade? I am looking at offering students some free applications or subscriptions as incentives to take part in my study. So thanks drnhlau for the advice on the PDFReader - certainly worth a consideration. I will certainly check out all your suggestions.
    I also wondered if a app that allows you to annotate your PDF's maybe worth considering? Something like Notify or Notablity? Although I imaging you need a stylus pen to use these - anyone have any experiences or views on this?
    I do not have a medical background and therefore unsure how students may use their new iPad - so your advice is very helpful. If you have any other suggestions please let me know.
    Thanks

6. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hey Hartshon
    Check "MSK Injections" and "C&EN Mobile" apps.

7. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I am going to move this thread to the Health Forum where it is more applicable.

Thanks!

8. drnhlau

drnhlau
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    GoodReader has annotation capability, I find Notes Plus the most useful especially during the high speed scribbling. as it has character recognising (in-app purchase), voice recording and one flip to Internet (with copying of pictures) especially useful if you want to copy a medical picture and paste on your note.

9. skatejolly

skatejolly
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    thats apps is too much help ful for my friend who search this type of apps i suggest this and he apperiate and like that apps, thanks for suggestion.

10. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Glad that you found these helpful!