Apple’s larger-sized iPad is again rumored for launch in October 2014

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by RaduTyrsina, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Added dropped words in post:

2. s2mikey

s2mikey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I hear ya. In this case though there is another product that's likely very close in price and every bit as portable with arguably more power & features. That was really my gist. I am probably not a customer for this device so y'all are right about that.

:)

3. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    You keep talking about portability being the same, which makes no sense. If that were the case, why would any of us have bought iPads when we could've bought netbooks, notebooks and laptops for similar prices or less?

4. s2mikey

s2mikey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    The current full sized iPad is only a 9.7 inch screen and this new larger one is almost 13 inches. The smallest MBA is 11 inches which is still appreciably larger than the standard iPad. So, this new iPad and an 11 inch MBA are going to be dimensionally similar and probably weight wise too. When I was shopping for a tablet, there were no laptops anywhere close to the iPad in overall size and weight.

Nevermind, I'm failing to state my case and it doesn't matter anyways. Like I said, well see how this goes and if it does hurt MBA sales. Unless apple has different plans for the MBA which we don't know about.

It's all good.

5. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    I'm surprised and amused that you think form factor is just about inches, rather than the fact that a tablet is a flat surface vs. a laptop with keyboard, etc., that's not instantly on or usually lacking in touch screen. The whole point of a bigger screen tablet is to give someone a bigger display while maintaining the flat surface touch screen. The reason people use the term "form factor" is clearly because it describes more than size -- otherwise, we'd all just be referring to screen size, lol.

If you try carrying any open laptop, netbook or notebook and walking around (no matter the size) and try to work with it and think that's more convenient than a tablet, even a bigger size one, you'd be one of very few people. It's simply awkward to walk around with any open laptop and try to work, and the additional advantage for many retail settings (once prices come down) is that customers will just be able to walk up to a big flat screen and interact with their fingers to buy stuff, look up stuff, page through products and sevices, etc., versus trying to do that on any laptop. With a tablet, you can easily install in a streamlined way at eye level without the awkwardness of having a laptop installed.

As long as iPads have been made, there have been plenty of cheap netbooks and notebooks available for less, with more pure computing power, and in similar sizes. If people used your criteria and ignored form factor, they would've bought those instead of iPads by the millions.

6. Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    The iPad Air are faster and more powerful than netbooks.

Also tablets are different from netbooks. They serve better purposes (But not more) than netbooks or smartphones. Wouldn't it be hard to just open your laptop and wait until it opens to search for a specific thing? With an iPad you can just, open it, then open safari or pull down in spotlight search and have instant access to the internet and wikipedia? Or if you want to play games, songs, and videos?

Tablets, offer greater purposes than smartphones and netbooks in terms of instant internet, media, and showing files, pictures, documents, playing games, and other thngs.

I believe in the term: Cheap products are bad products.

Also form factor is very important. Would you use a product that is very heavy, very big that it cannot be used? It is very important.

Also tablets were never used for productivity. The reasons why the iPad is the leading tablet in this class of gadgets is because its not like other tablets that have keyboards. Apple smartly keep them what they are: Tablets. The reason why the microsoft surface and blackberry fails is because adding physical keyboards in devices that small will not be hard to type in. Tablets are used for different purposes. Apple smartly makes it only a tablet.

7. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    By the way, again, Apple isn't worried about cannibalizing its own sales; they're smart enough to realize that that's better than other companies do it.

The whole point of having a bigger tablet would be to give customers, especially those with bigger display needs, the device that works best for them -- not just protecting existing sales. Any company that just acts defensively (like trying to protect MacBook sales) instead of innovating would be a dead man walking, especially in tech.

In the future, laptop sales -- all laptop sales -- will continue to fall as tablets grow more powerful. Apple is smart enough to recognize that. (Though that seems pretty obvious to me.)

The form factor of any tablet allows you to add a physical keyboard when you want it, and with a larger tablet, those keyboard sizes will grow accordingly. That combo will give people a closer approximation to working with a laptop, without being locked into carrying or using the combo at all times, because their needs will determine what they use. That's one of the advantages of tablet form factor.

8. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Lol. Are you trying to convince me? I've been trying to explain to Mikey, who doesn't get the difference in form factor.

9. Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    I'm just saying that tablets are tablets. If you try to make it like a laptop then whats its point anymore? Buy a mac or a ultrabook instead, which are more powerful than tablets.

10. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, Mikey doesn't seem to see the difference, which is surprising, especially for someone who owns a tablet, lol.