What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple tv - how do I lock on?

allen-uk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I connect my iPad to Apple tv (good stereo system attached).

Fine - but after a few minutes it drops out and you have to go through the connection process again.

Is there a way of locking the connection?

Thanks.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I connect my iPad to Apple tv (good stereo system attached).

Fine - but after a few minutes it drops out and you have to go through the connection process again.

Is there a way of locking the connection?

Hello - you might want to provide more information (lost my crystal ball - ;)): 1) What iPad model & iOS version are being used; 2) Apple TV model; and 3) Please explain your connection?

The Apple TV is meant to be attached to a HDTV via an HDMI cable, and not to your iPad, so somewhat confused by your first line above. The iPad then wirelessly discovers and pairs to your Apple TV and uses AirPlay to stream to your TV. Please review these Apple LINK 1 and LINK 2 - post back your results and further questions here - Dave :)

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I suppose you connect via AirPlay to your Apple TV. There was an update for the Apple TV recently. My experience is that when the Apple TV's software is not up to date, it causes some minor glitches. Not staying connected could be one of them. So make sure your Apple devices are running the latest software.

OP
A

allen-uk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello J.A., giradman.

Yes, sorry to have omitted those details (in fact we have two, and the same problem occurs on both iPad Air and the previous model, name of which escapes me). Both running IOS 8 or whatever latest is. (Yes, I do connect by wireless of course).

Anyway, having thrown in my pebble and disturbed the water, I've now also solved the problem.

The trick is Auto Lock, which normally puts the iPad to black screen after a set time. Go to Settings on the iPad and change Auto Lock to 'Never' from the more usual 2 minutes. Then iTunes (for example) stays up and live on your iPad screen ad infinitum, or rather (disadvantage) until the battery runs down.

Answer of course is to run on mains charger if you're connected to Apple TV for a long period.

Oh, and don't forget to change Lock back to 2 or however many minutes, otherwise screen stays 'live'.

Overall benefit of this: if you've got a good stereo system attached to your television, you can play your iTunes music through it, via an Apple TV, and enjoy the benefits of 'proper' amplifiers and speakers. Airparrot will do the same job on a Mac computer, i.e. it will MIRROR on your TV whatever you've got on your Mac screen, but I don't think there's a similar app available for iPad.

Allen.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Allen - thanks for the clarification; I assumed that you had the hookup correct, but just unclear from your brief comments. I use a Roku device so streaming from my iPad to my HDTV is not an option, however, I have a great bluetooth soundbar and play music from my iPad using many options (MP3s on the device and the Amazon, Pandora & Spotify apps).

Glad that you figured out the solution as described in your previous post - will definitely help others. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts