What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Planning to Launch its Own Mobile Virtual Network

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
4th gen iPad.JPG

Business Insider has dropped a bombshell today with the news that Apple is looking to launch its own mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) service in the U.S. and Europe.

According to sources close to Apple, the company is already trialling an MVNO service in the U.S., and is also in talks with telecoms companies in Europe about a similar service there.

If Apple had its own MVNO, it would then be able to sell network space to its customers directly. This would mean that as a customer, instead of paying your carrier for your mobile service, data, calls and texts every month, you’d pay Apple directly. Apple would supply you with all your required services, but the Apple SIM in your device would be able to switch from carrier to carrier to get the best service.

The network capacity would be auctioned to Apple by the telecoms companies.

As Business Insider notes, before we all get too excited by this news, it’s worth pointing out that this could merely be a big testing exercise from Apple, and their plans for such a service might never see the light of day, or if they do, it could be several years hence. Interesting all the same, though.

Source: http://uk.businessinsider.com/apple-in-talks-to-launch-an-mvno-in-the-us-and-europe-2015-8?r=US&IR=T

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Maura, I'll need some time to weigh the pros and cons. Yes it is interesting. I like the idea of roaming different providers. Although I don't want to pay too much more than I already do.

Most reactions

Latest posts