What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Pencil.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
With the purchase of iPad Pro 11" 2020 I now have the same problem I had when I bought my previous iPad Pro .....
Should I buy Apple Pencil?
I bought the 1st generation pencil previously and never got to grips with it, what a waste!
However I love the idea of the 2nd generation pencil, love the way it charges on the side for example.
I've been swatting up on the obvious ways of using it but what I don't want is to waste more money on something I don't use ....
Any hints and tips on use would be welcome to help me decide.

Last edited:
OP
Pinkpoison

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can use it to fill in online forms and have your writing converted to text.
Yes I saw that, I found I can mark up photos too, I've been doing that in preview but it still could be useful.

PatS

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the earlier version as well and use it a lot with the Nebo app to write handwritten notes and convert to next. It learns to recognize your handwriting quite efficiently. The charging and pairing is awkward. I originally bought it for sketching (use procreate) but use it more for handwriting to convert to text

OP
Pinkpoison

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have the earlier version as well and use it a lot with the Nebo app to write handwritten notes and convert to next. It learns to recognize your handwriting quite efficiently. The charging and pairing is awkward. I originally bought it for sketching (use procreate) but use it more for handwriting to convert to text
Yes the charging for the 1st generation isn't good.

OP
Pinkpoison

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I tried marking up emails with my finger to see how that works but you can't see what's in the email so placing what you want to put in is difficult.... unless I'm missing something?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes the charging for the 1st generation isn't good.
Too bad they couldn’t have made the first generation Apple Pencil work with the newer iPad Pro models. BTW, the new Apple Pencil doesn’t come with a spare tip.

geokor82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
guys is there any alternative way to charge the pencil 2 besides on the iPad itself?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
guys is there any alternative way to charge the pencil 2 besides on the iPad itself?
The Apple Pencil 2 does not support the Qi standard and cannot be charged anywhere but the charging station on the side of the iPad.

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
New to this forum so don't shout if this is in the wrong place.
We have a 2 and a ½ year old in our care most days when she wants to play with grandma. She's very intelligent and gets into all kinds of things. I can visualise her knocking the Apple Pencil when it's charging, enough said. I wished they made a right angle unit to avoid it sticking out and just waiting to get knocked and busted. Anyway l read about adapters but as l bought mine used l did not get the box or any instructions. I got hers new from Apple and an item in it but we never had a clue what it was.
Now l know, my questions are do you get these for later models also? Also on one end is a very small circle
is this for the Pencil or the lightning cable?
Thanks in advance BB

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The second model Apple Pencil has no adapters as it charges wirelessly on the side of the 3rd and 4th generation iPad Pro. The adapter for the first generation Apple Pencil is a double female Lightning adapter that allows you to use the iPad charger and charging cable to charge the Apple Pencil.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts