What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charging Pencil from Ipad

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
i’ve had the Pencil since the beginning and use it every day. I, like most, have had battery loss issues and solved it (mostly) by keeping Pencil in a separate case away from Ipad when not using. However, I found that not having it right there for immediate use sometimes when I’d like to use it I don’t. So I bought a magnetic sleeve (which I like in use-both for the convenience of use and the feel in hand). BUT I know I will suffer faster battery loss while it is “on” the Ipad (already tested). I won’t leave it there—probably just when I’m using the Ipad (which is quite a bit—generally instead of my Macbook).

So question—has anyone found a good reliable male/female lightning short cable to charge Pencil while it is magnetically attached to ipad at top (in landscape)? I am going to try an extender, 1 ft., from a company which is totally unknown to me—Aceyoon. Cheap enough, $8.98 for pack of 2 which does concern me because it seems TOO cheap—but going to try this one—any other suggestions?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i’ve had the Pencil since the beginning and use it every day. I, like most, have had battery loss issues and solved it (mostly) by keeping Pencil in a separate case away from Ipad when not using. However, I found that not having it right there for immediate use sometimes when I’d like to use it I don’t. So I bought a magnetic sleeve (which I like in use-both for the convenience of use and the feel in hand). BUT I know I will suffer faster battery loss while it is “on” the Ipad (already tested). I won’t leave it there—probably just when I’m using the Ipad (which is quite a bit—generally instead of my Macbook).

So question—has anyone found a good reliable male/female lightning short cable to charge Pencil while it is magnetically attached to ipad at top (in landscape)? I am going to try an extender, 1 ft., from a company which is totally unknown to me—Aceyoon. Cheap enough, $8.98 for pack of 2 which does concern me because it seems TOO cheap—but going to try this one—any other suggestions?
When using third party charging cable there’s the risk of it ceasing to work at any moment as unauthorized cables don’t have an authentication chip.

OP
D

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had what I believe was a maybe 5” Techmatte cable but can’t swear—it worked for months—and quit, as you say. I really do think Apple should offer a short charging cable for the Pencil—so many do not want to charge by inserting Pencil lightning tip in Ipad’s port-or use the adapter with a lightning/USB cable and power block. I do have a Techmatte freestanding charger for it but don’t want to carry it when traveling. There really isn’t a good solution and hope maybe in Fall this will be rethought.

jarvannaer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tested an ipad pen, it's not very expensive, and it's paid back to me, but can I use it like this, I don't think it's worth it, because I worry it might not work with my iPad. .

OP
D

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bought a pair of short cables, about 10”, from ‘Aceyoon’ (?). I’ve used the first one now for almost a month and its a quick easy way to charge—Pencil in magnetic sleeve at top of ipad, put cable in Pencil first than plug into lightning port. I put cap on Ipad—held by magnets too at top beside Pencil. This way Pencil is always right at hand—i do take Pencil off at night when i close the case on the ipad. So far so good.

Most reactions

Latest posts