What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Mobile Device Services - Not Downloading

Dopplerup

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IBM computer using Windows 10, range of iPads, one iTouch and an iPod. Updated iTunes to the latest and now iTunes will not recognise the iPads or the iTouch, but the iPod's no problem. Investigation, after following all the millions of words written on this problem, shows me that the AMDS file is not actually downloaded to the computer at all! Six uninstalls and re-installs (following all the exacting procedures to the letter, running CCleaner, rebooting, etc) later, the same situation pertains - the actual file will simply not download. Would welcome any suggestions 'cause I have run out of ideas.

OP
D

Dopplerup

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A good link thank you, twerppoet, but for me it fails on the last step. I can't get the 'Mobile Device Support' folder to download in the first place so can't access the drivers. I went to the Apple forums and found I am not alone. It would appear that for Apple, Windows 10 is a still a figment of someone's imagination. In the meantime I have had to rebuild my iPad from scratch since I can't now access my back up, but maybe that's not a bad thing in some respects. Miss my music though.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That's sad. I'm assuming they are not iTunes purchased tracks, or you could just download them again via the Purchased tab (though that could take quite a while).

You can always turn on the new Apple Music service. It should be free for another month or so. That will give you access to a huge library of music to stream. Just be sure to turn it off before they start charging if you decide not to pay.

I set a calendar alert to remind me to make that decision, a couple days before the charge date for safety; though it's seeming less and less likely that I won't choose to pay for the service. I like it.

Hopefully Apple will have a new Windows 10 compatible iTune release soon. There should be an iPhone, iOS 9, El Capitan (OS X) event sometime in September. I'd expect new iTunes versions for the Mac then, and it would be a good time for them to refresh the Windows version as well.

OP
D

Dopplerup

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry twerppoet, I've not given you the whole story. I was in the middle of updating my iPad OS via iTunes when halfway through iTunes decided that it no longer recognised the iPad. I had the iPad factory reset at the apple service centre, but now of course I can't access my back up on iTunes to reload all my stuff. All my music, movies and apps are there on iTunes, I just can't get it all back onto the iPad until I can figure out a way of getting that Apple Mobile Device Support folder to download. Having said that, you are quite right in that I can get my purchased music (about a quarter of what I have) and movies no problem. I think it may be a waiting game as you have indicated. My apologies again.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No need to apologize. I was just making random observations, and a suggestion or two in case it was helpful. I understood, in at least a general sense, what your problem was/is. Wish I could have been more help.

Most reactions

Latest posts