Apple knows where we are and wants to use it.

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by figmo10, Jun 21, 2010.

1. figmo10

figmo10 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Sign into iTunes today and get the prompt to agree to the new TOS? Didja see this dandy little clause?

To provide location-based services on Apple products, Apple and our partners and licensees may collect, use, and share precise location data, including the real-time geographic location of your Apple computer or device. This location data is collected anonymously in a form that does not personally identify you and is used by Apple and our partners and licensees to provide and improve location-based products and services. For example, we may share geographic location with application providers when you opt in to their location services.

Hmmmmm....and no opt-out, either. Whatcha wanna bet those impending iAds are about to get....personal...?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  2. Star56

Star56 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Earlier today a black helicopter with an Apple symbol hovered over my house.

They know where we are.

3. thehatguy

thehatguy iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Somebody actually reads those T&C's???

John

4. CaptKirk

CaptKirk iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I saw that same helicopter flying over my house :p. Dam Apple paparazzi's

5. figmo10

figmo10 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    C'mon, everyone knows that the Apple copters are unmarked.

Tin Foil hat doffed: It's more annoying than sinister. Apple and those who buy iAds are going to be able to directly target certain consumers in certain areas. And I don't for a second believe that personally identifiable info can't be gleaned from the location service data obtained from an iPad through black-hat methods.

6. Matth3w

Matth3w iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I don't read the ads regardless, so it doesn't matter to me anyhow. I'm not going to read the ad whether it is personalized or not. As a matter of fact I'll be looking forward to the jailbreak app that disables that craptastic nonsense.

It's supposed to theoretically lower the cost of apps by providing a revenue to the app maker, but people are greedy and I'd bet a paycheck that it is going to do no such thing. Apps will still be 6-7 or more for games, have ads that slow it down, and nothing will change except that you will have to look at annoying ads.