What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Issues Statement on Maps Issues

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
8398-ios-6-maps-complaints.JPG

AppleInsider reports that following on from the deluge of complaints reverberating around social media about Apple’s new in-house Maps app, which has replaced Google’s iOS Maps app, Apple has now issued a statement via spokesperson Trudy Miller, to AllThingsD, saying the following:

Customers around the world are upgrading to iOS 6 with over 200 new features including Apple Maps, our first map service ... We are excited to offer this service with innovative new features like Flyover, turn by turn navigation, and Siri integration. We launched this new map service knowing it is a major initiative and that we are just getting started with it. Maps is a cloud-based solution and the more people use it, the better it will get. We appreciate all of the customer feedback and are working hard to make the customer experience even better.

Granted any new software is bound to have teething troubles, but I’m really surprised that Apple released Maps if it still had so many issues. Lots of people worldwide really have come to rely on their Maps app to get around, I'm sure that many of us have, so to suddenly find that they don’t have it has been the reason for many of the complaints. Meanwhile, if you fancy a little chuckle, then The Huffington Post has a slideshow of photos that show some of the biggest gaffs of the new app.

Source: Apple 'working hard' to rectify Maps issues, appreciates 'customer feedback'
10 Funniest Fails In Apple's iOS Maps App (PHOTOS)

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The contract with Google for map services expired along with the YouTube app contract. Apple really has no choice but to release this version, which will get dramatically better over time as they update the database.

bazzav55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ios6 maps issues

I am very disappointed with Apple for putting out such a shoddy product as their mapping app - it is not easy and intuitive to use, does work as other "good" satnav products do, such as TomTom. In my opinion is unfit for the purpose intended. You are about 25% there - it needs a lot of work. Some of the nice things like speed on roads, distance to go, time to next turn are just a few of the things missing. I am very disappointed that Apple should present such poor workmanship. Talk about value for money - this is beyond belief - if I had a choice now I would go to another manufacturer/product that uses Google Maps. How ever did this product get through Apples stringent quality reviews. I remain yours - Gobsmacked

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Google has been gathering map data for years. Apple wasn't going to catch up without releasing their own map app.

With the app on millions of devices and customer feedback pouring in, the app should improve rapidly; or so we can hope. Siri's improvements are due to the same strategy. You need data to improve something like this, and you get a lot more if you put it out there than you get with a few dozen guys sitting in cubicles.

This is the step back Apple had to make if they were ever going to offer a solid product of their own. Given that Google is competition, depending on them (without some iron clad future proof license agreement) would not have been wise.

That they went with TomTom is probably because they got a bigger say in how things are going forward. The biggest GPS providers don't need the boost Apple can give them, so they would be unlikely to listen to what Apple wants.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
twerppoet said:
Google has been gathering map data for years. Apple wasn't going to catch up without releasing their own map app.

With the app on millions of devices and customer feedback pouring in, the app should improve rapidly; or so we can hope. Siri's improvements are due to the same strategy. You need data to improve something like this, and you get a lot more if you put it out there than you get with a few dozen guys sitting in cubicles.

This is the step back Apple had to make if they were ever going to offer a solid product of their own. Given that Google is competition, depending on them (without some iron clad future proof license agreement) would not have been wise.

That they went with TomTom is probably because they got a bigger say in how things are going forward. The biggest GPS providers don't need the boost Apple can give them, so they would be unlikely to listen to what Apple wants.

This is the best and most reasoned response addressing Apple's decision to develop it's own map app, that I've read.

Thank you for the post tp.

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This is the best and most reasoned response addressing Apple's decision to develop it's own map app, that I've read.

Thank you for the post tp.

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Well, to honest, it's just a condencation of the best parts of several articles and one podcast that I've read/listened to today. I'm not saying I haven't been thinking along these lines, but the articles are to blame for me being able to articulate it clearly.

All except the TomTom part. That's just rampant speculation of my own.

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The bloopers are hilarious, but certainly cannot be overlooked. Even apple misplacing its own store???
Steve Jobs would be FURIOUS if he were still alive and the maps app was released like that...

qwerty12345

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some things are better left untouched! Apple & Google gotta work out their differences . There will be no prisoners if they don't ...

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Some things are better left untouched! Apple & Google gotta work out their differences . There will be no prisoners if they don't ...

Not likely to happen. Apple will be fine. Map data is getting better all the time.

qwerty12345

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They removed YouTube app. Now we stuck with a dumb android interface from store?

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
They removed YouTube app. Now we stuck with a dumb android interface from store?
Unfortunately, yes. But, the app being removed is for the better, as google can now easily update their app. Before, when it was baked into iOS, a whole new version of the OS has to be released.

DocPhyz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Google Maps is still in the Safari bookmarks bar, retains My Places that were in the app, and opens with an option to put a shortcut to the web version on the Home pages as an app. So we have that option while Apple gets it act together. Seems to have some server bugs, but hopefully that will also get resolved soon.

Most reactions