Tim Cook Issues Personal Apology for Apple Maps

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Sep 28, 2012.

1. zunex

zunex
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    It's kind of weird these days when . I wonder if this is a smart move. Steve would never give an apology even if the whole world keep complaining about Apple. This is just a first version of Apple Maps, and although it's really bad, a few more update should fix many big issues.

2. AdmiralAdama

AdmiralAdama
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Precisely.

No further questions your honour. The defense rests.

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF

3. thewitt

thewitt
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I can see Steve issuing an apology. He would have also committed a timeline to make Maps insanely great.

4. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Google didn't want to have a level playing field by allowing turn-by-turn direction on iOS. This is one of the main reasons I didn't use Google Maps. The other reason is because, up until very recently, all maps hads to be downloaded...if you ever get outside of cellular range, then you're dead (which actually happens to me in parts of the south east US. To me, these were two major problems with Google Maps. I even quit using it on Android, in favor of Navigon. Frankly, I think Apple did the right thing here. They also have committed themselves to find a better maps solution for iOS, one way or other. I'd rather have a real committment than an unfullfilled promise and a lousy mapping app.

5. AdmiralAdama

AdmiralAdama
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    My glove box is still filled with road maps and there's a 2012 CCCMaps North American road atlas under the front seat. Just in case.

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF

6. susanlackey

susanlackey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I agree 100% and am confident we will see a lot of great improvements to the maps app from Apple over the next few months.

7. Grytpype

Grytpype
    Expand Collapse

It doesn't look as if many people are going to bother to "help make it work." http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/apple-maps-usage-down-to-just-4-per-cent-1100766 An overwhelming 96% don't want it or have quite understandably given up on it and switched to a different map system.*

When the kiddies have become bored playing with the irrelevant and useless "flyover" gimmick, that 4% will probably halve again. *How many do you think will be left following the release of a Google Maps app?*

#17 Grytpype, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2012
  8. wytey

wytey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure it will eventually be good, but for me it's gmail, mail, docs, maps etc all in one which i can access from home, work or on the go, i suppose having a data plan on the mobile also helps, link up with friends, family and co-workers etc so we know what each other are doing and when via the calendar, the simplicity of it helps

9. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    If Google releases its own mapping option that has all features like it does on Android, then this will be a good thing. Why should Apple pay to license a half-done, crippled version of maps from Google? It makes no sense. Google can either develop an app for iOS or they can stand by and watch while they get some competition from a company that has more money than god. I wonder which option they will take?

10. Grytpype

Grytpype
    Expand Collapse

@ KevinJS: Thank you for replacing the link you deleted from my post.

@ AQ_OC: Google Maps is working just fine on my iPad 3. I deliberately didn't update to iOS6 so that I wouldn't lose it. To call Google Maps "half-done and crippled" is ridiculous, especially when you compare it to the disastrous Apple version. It will take years to get Apple Maps right, however much money they throw at it.